Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What happens after you're Sectioned?

(7 Posts)
Heatherbell1978 Fri 02-Sep-16 12:45:07

So my older brother (40 years old) has been sectioned. He was taken to our local psychiatric hospital by the police last night.
This is a huge relief for our family. He's never been quite right and is no doubt on the autistic spectrum but my parents were in complete denial in his younger years. My dad is probably on the spectrum too to be honest so has always been protective. He's got worse and worse as he's aged. Hasn't worked for years and has developed complete psychosis and has lived in squalor in my dads flat (alone) for years. Literally living in shit and all the money my dad gives him is spent on weed and fags. Never seen a GP so completely off the radar of everyone. Ironically my dad is a retired GP and mum a retired nurse.
Anyway this is by far the best place for him (if you met him you'd know why I say that) but I wanted to know what happens now? Will he get better? Will he get support when he's released? Ant experiences you have would be good to hear.

AnxiousCarer Fri 02-Sep-16 19:13:43

Hi Heatherbell,

Unfortunately its imposible for us to answer all your questions, we don't know your brother and right now not even his doctors will be able to answer them. There are different sections, I'm no expert but I know theres a short one for assesment 3 days I think, which is often used by police to detain someone for assesment. Once the doctors have assessed they can section for longer periods of time or offer your brother voluntary admission, or they may feel that he can be supported in the community and send him home. It will all depend what they find when they complete their assessments. What he is offered on discharge will also depend on their assessments and what they think he needs.

My DH has only ever been sectioned for assesment so I don't have much experience of sections. He suffers with episodes of psychosis and since this was identified and he has got support things have changed hugely for the better and his symptoms are well managed most of the time. I think the important thing here is that he is now getting the support he needs. Other than that just take things one day at a time.

devilinmyshoes Fri 02-Sep-16 19:57:09

Assessment is usually 28 days (section 2). He could appeal but it takes so long it's rarely worth it. Hopefully this is the start of him getting the help he needs.

Broken1Girl Fri 02-Sep-16 22:09:47

He will have been sectioned by the police, under a section 136 www.rethink.org/living-with-mental-illness/police-courts-prison/section-136-police-taking-you-to-a-place-of-safety-from-a-public-place
and have been assessed and detained in hospital, probably under section 2.

Sounds like the best place for him right now.

He has the right to appeal, and to an advocate.

Just to point out, he won't necessarily be in for the whole 28 days, as a section can be lifted by a psychiatrist at any time.

He will be entitled to aftercare on discharge, from the community mental health team.

More info:

www.rethink.org/living-with-mental-illness/mental-health-laws/mental-health-act-1983/sections-2-3-4-5

www.mind.org.uk/information-support/legal-rights/sectioning/#.V8noYfzTWUA

gamerchick Fri 02-Sep-16 22:14:58

He'll be discharged as soon as possible as soon as they find family to take responsibility for him.

The taking responsibility question is loaded your best bet is to draw up the drawbridge and get him on a section 3. Care in the community is utter garbage and not fit for purpose.

LondonRoo Mon 05-Sep-16 08:10:55

He should get a comprehensive assessment as a starting point. It would be very helpful for the team working with him if you made contact and were able to explain how he has been in recent months and years.

I hope he gets the help he needs.

Roo

Muddledupme Wed 07-Sep-16 23:41:37

When I was in hospital you could appeal against your section I think but I was so off the wall I could t understand what people were saying
.i spent ten weeks in last October which were horrific but I needed to be there to stay alive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now