Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do you cope with anxiety attacks?

(4 Posts)
AllChangeNat Thu 01-Sep-16 09:20:01

My anxiety is sky high and I literally don't know what to do with myself. I have a Dr's appt tomorrow so I'm not looking for a long term solution, but something to help me deal with the here and now. I've been awake almost all night and am exhausted, I just need to get through the next 24 hrs. What can I do?

LuckyBitches Thu 01-Sep-16 10:41:58

OP my own anxiety has taken a couple of months to get a handle on, so I'm not sure if I can offer much helpful advice about what to do in the next 24 hours, but I didn't want to read and run. Anxiety is shit.

'be kind to yourself' has become a bit of a cliche, but I do think it particularly applies to anxiety which to me is a sort of turning on oneself. So, I would suggest doing something nice for yourself today - be on your side.

Long term - I'm finding Sertraline to be working very well. Insomnia was a problem for me, so I now also take a low dose (7.5 mg) of Mirtazapine at night to help me sleep. Works like a charm. My GP started me off on Zopiclone for the insomnia, but you can't take it long term so I'm not sure what use that would have been.

Best of luck tomorrow.

AlwaysLookOnBrightsideOfLife Thu 01-Sep-16 15:55:28

I find focusing on my breathing helps - deep breaths. I think what works for one person may not necessarily work for another. Mine tend to be, focus on the here & now (the right now), high intensity exercise and I've had to drastically cut my caffeine.

Could you try meditation or yoga right now? Not sure if either of those would help. For me, I have to go flat out at the gym.

Definitely be kind to yourself. flowers

dangermouseisace Thu 01-Sep-16 20:15:54

i find the mirtazapine useful too. As even if I am anxious I know that it will all stop for a few hours of sleep.

I find fast walking good. Stomping. And hoovering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now