Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Has anyone felt ADs do little for them? Thinking of stopping them.

(15 Posts)
Annaismyothername Mon 29-Aug-16 16:12:34

I think ADs make me tired. They certainly don't make me happy. I've tried for 6-7 months now.

At first GP didn't want to give me them as she (rightly) thought I needed to make life changes. Then I got worse so she thought it would help me through.

I am better in terms of anxiety, much better, than at the beginning. But I think that's because I have made big changes to my life.

I still feel pretty depressed. So in my mind the ADs aren't working.

I think working on my life is what will make the difference.

I'm going to see GP tomorrow and the impression I got last time was that I need to stay on them longer.

Just wondered if anyone has thoughts/experience of their own?

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Mon 29-Aug-16 16:21:11

Different anti-depressants work in totally different ways and differently between people as well. Just because the one you are on isn't making a difference doesn't mean that another type wouldn't.
Also exercising on a regular basis (three to five times a week) has been shown to have an impact on depression.
In your shoes, I would go back to the dr and ask to try a different kind of anti-depressant.

Annaismyothername Mon 29-Aug-16 17:50:00

Does swapping to a different type involve gradual reduction of current medication and building up with another?

YouOKHun Mon 29-Aug-16 18:13:31

You could ask your GP for a referral for counselling or CBT, both (though different in approach) could help you look at ways of managing your life or identifying more helpful ways of thinking and behaving in future. Worth a try alongside a different AD or after stopping ADs. Good luck.

AnxiousCarer Tue 30-Aug-16 18:34:20

I would second asking GP about trying a different ad as not all work for everyone. Not sure how thay changeover process works though.

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Wed 31-Aug-16 20:04:14

When I've switched anti-depressants before, it's been straight from one to the other. But it probably depends what type you are on.

Annaismyothername Wed 31-Aug-16 20:27:22

I had citalopram briefly, low dose, switched to sertraline.

I think I'd like to stop altogether. Part because i missed a couple of days and felt really awful. Even worse, accidentally took double - 200mg - for a week. Was very ill.

Stupidity I know but I don't want to be taking something has such a strong effect.

Thanks for replies. YouOK, I'm getting other help too. Exercise is a really good idea.

Didn't get a chance to go see GP in the end. Will try again next week.

Petal40 Wed 31-Aug-16 20:31:36

I've tried loads over the last 20 yrs...gave up and came of them a few yrs a go....feel like shit on or of them....they turned me in to a zombie eating machine

Petal40 Wed 31-Aug-16 20:33:16

You know what I found?? I wasn't depressed ..just fucking unhappy with my life..

Annaismyothername Wed 31-Aug-16 20:42:04

Yep Petal. That's what I figure.
Hope you figure how to make life happier.

Petal40 Wed 31-Aug-16 21:59:17

Not yet.but I'm hoping

Petal40 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:01:51

I exercise a lot.gym and swimming..not really loose weight,although I do need to,but just to shut my mind down from all the shitty thoughts I have...I like the empty head feeling of repetitive exercise..it seems to help me ...and it's better than self harming

Petal40 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:04:06

I hope you figure out the best way forward.feel free to pm me if you want a chat xx

Annaismyothername Wed 31-Aug-16 22:06:51

Well done with the exercise. Yes I need to find something to do. I can't run or cycle at moment which would be my exercise when I bother as arthritis isn't great.

yoink Wed 31-Aug-16 22:07:11

as pp said, there's lots of different types to try as they affect different people in different ways, but also CBT will help you make the practical changes in your life that it sounds like you're ready to make.

good luck op flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now