Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sometimes I don't have the words.

(2 Posts)
ProfessorPreciseaBug Mon 29-Aug-16 07:28:42

I have a history of manic depression. About nine years ago I broke down completely and spent three months in a dressing gown. That expeience taught me a lot about mental health. Back then it was easier to admit to being gay with AIDS than say you are mentaly ill.

Obviously I will never "recover" but I understand myself better now and can manage myself pretty well. And from my experience, I want to help others who may be experienceing similar issues.

When I read some of the posts on these pages, I want to help people who are hurting but I don't have the tools in the box to do anything. I don't know what to say. Please forgive.

OnceThereWasThisGirlWho Mon 29-Aug-16 13:04:32

I was and still am surprised at the discrimination and prejudice around MH issues. (And I will not use the term "stigma" because you'd never say "the stigma of being black" for eg.) Because I was raised in a moderate to extreme lefty accepting PC environment I vaguely thought mental health was on a par with physical health. Ha! (Overt racism came as a shock too).

Wanting to help people, as you say... I think this is where, in the situation you describe, internet support has it's downside. I mean, in real life we may have a cuppa together, maybe poke around the garden in the sun even if I was still in my dressing gown (which I am). Wouldn't have to talk much, or talk serious, but the fact that you wanted to help would be apparent in a vaguely caring atmosphere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now