Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Help me to help him

(3 Posts)
happyless Mon 22-Aug-16 09:42:14

I'm torn. My DB has told me he's depressed and has been on anti-depressants for at least a year. He said he doesn't feel anything at all. Is that normal? He also hasn't told his wife, our other siblings, friends, colleagues...no one. What can I do do to help? Thank you.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Mon 22-Aug-16 09:46:30

I think it's a wonderful compliment to you that he felt he could tell you, OP. Best advice I can give initially is just to be there for him. Call him often so he can talk to you.

Encourage him to talk to his wife and to your parents, but don't tell them yourself. Don't even hint, or his trust will be broken.

happyless Mon 22-Aug-16 10:01:15

Thank you. He knows I won't tell and he only told me after I was at the receiving end of his anger. He never does that to me. I've told him I'm always here and if he needs to talk he can phone, message or call in. I'll keep sending messages and checking in too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now