Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

SSRIs and sweating

(5 Posts)
Newbie7077 Sat 13-Aug-16 07:43:18

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with night sweats taking ssris? I've gone through various different ones and I still end up soaking my sheets in sweat during the night. It's awful sad. Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? I've tried different duvets and sleeping with just a sheet etc. My gp seems to have reached a point where she doesn't know what to do

dangermouseisace Sat 13-Aug-16 17:58:49

I have this. It's terrible- sometimes I have to change what I'm wearing, bedclothes etc. I get it with any modern antidepressant it seems. However, I find that it is worse if I'm anxious, and if my body is tense when I am sleeping e.g. curled up into a ball. I find that if I focus on relaxing body before I go to sleep then it isn't as bad. Or if I wear socks, bizarrely, and have just a duvet cover/summer duvet in winter. I can end up soaked with sweat even if I'm cold though, which is weird. I found that when they put me on mirtazapine it helped a bit but mainly because I am able to sleep more despite the sweat, rather than not sweat at all. My old GP sent me to a homeopath as she just didn't know what to do which was as useful as a chocolate teapot!

Newbie7077 Sat 13-Aug-16 18:41:14

Exactly the same happened to me when they put me on mirtazapine! I was sweating but I just slept through it because of the sedative effects of that drug. It didn't work as well on me in other respects though so went back to citalopram. I'll try relaxing properly and perhaps keeping my socks on grin and see if it works, thank you. It's good to know it's not just me after having stunned the gp although I wouldn't wish this sweating upon anyone xx

christinakennedy1991 Sat 13-Aug-16 22:30:39

I have been on Sertraline (zoloft) for around two years and I have exactly the same thing. It's so annoying. I find sleeping in a vest and shorts of really thin material helps. I also put on some talc before bed and it seems to help a little too. It's a horrible side effect. Chin up you're not alone smile

Naughty1205 Sat 13-Aug-16 22:36:14

Also on sertraline here and have same thing. PITA as can't have shower before bed to save time in morning as no point! Often have to get up to change clothes. If I take my ad later than usual it's worse I find. Not much help from me, have tried taking off bedclothes etc. but nothing works. Was also on mirtazapine but at least it knocked me out enough that I could sleep through it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now