Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Quiet Life herbal tablets safe?

(13 Posts)
babydances Mon 08-Aug-16 21:33:22

Hie everyone ,

I have PTSD and some mild depression.

These Quite Life tablets seem to have mellowed me out abit. My therapist said to ask GP if they are safe.

What's everyone's experience of these?

And would they be safe to take long term?

ifancyagreencard Mon 08-Aug-16 21:41:36

Hi babydances
Sorry you're on a bit of a rocky road atm
I took "proper" meds for anxiety a good fews years ago and am now back on track. But if I feel a bit wobbly, I have to admit that Quiet Life takes the edge off. No idea if it's a nice placebo or the tablets are actually effective but they deffo work for me and I've had no ill effects. Teen DD also relied on them at a time of acute stress (bereavement) and, again, they had a calming/chilling effect and she found them helpful.
In terms of long term, I couldn't say but I doubt they would be sold over the counter if there were any concerns.
Look after yourself - here's hoping for sunnier times . .

babydances Tue 09-Aug-16 08:54:40

Thank you for your reply.
Do you think it's ok to take them for several weeks or months?
I had considered asking for antidepressants but these are deffo working. As for me I can't fake feeling better and I am definitely more relaxed and less hett up

JaneJeffer Tue 09-Aug-16 09:06:31

I've taken these before and found them helpful. I think they're mostly just B Vitamins so shouldn't be harmful although it does say on label not to take them consistently I think.

ifancyagreencard Tue 09-Aug-16 20:19:26

I've taken them for a few weeks in the past with no problem. But if you are struggling, don't be too proud (like I initially was) to get to the GP for help. I know anti d's / anxiety meds aren't for everyone but I felt an almost "chemical" reset in my brain about 3-4 weeks in. I woke up one morning and thought, yes I can do this. I can get through today!

babydances Tue 09-Aug-16 21:32:43

Thank you. I've had a good couple of days and not cried for three days now!!
My online therapist hasn't suggested any medication. I'm thinking I will see how the next two weeks go.

I've found keeping busy, trying to remain positive is helping. I was reading on a fb group for PTSD and depression and it made me feel worse so I came off the group. It's easier for me to not talk about it through the week other than in the session otherwise it has just consumed my day.

Ilikesweetpeas Tue 09-Aug-16 21:35:05

Please can I ask where these are from? I'm weaning off citaloptam and wonder if they might be helpful for me? Thanks

Lorelei76 Tue 09-Aug-16 21:55:43

I have just looked these up but i'm sure they are fine
they look like Stressless, which I have used to get through anxious periods, but with Vitamin B (different parts) added.

I can't think of a reason you couldn't take them daily, there are much higher doses of Vit B in some supplements.

Do ask your GP but I reckon the therapist will have asked you to ask them just to be sure and to cover herself legally.

I'm glad you are feeling better.

ifancyagreencard Tue 09-Aug-16 22:17:47

likesweetpeas I took Citalapram too. I know some people don't get on with it but it changed my life! All I would say is come off VERY slowly over a long period of time. I did and had zero withdrawal effects.

I get Quiet Life in Holland and Barrett but some independent chemists stock it too. Not sure about Boots etc but would assume they do.

Good Luck - hope coming off citalapram goes OK

ifancyagreencard Tue 09-Aug-16 22:21:16

babydances yup, keeping busy kept me going too. I'm afraid counselling / talking therapies just make me worse (I know they are super helpful to many). Once my anxieties/worries are under control, I stick them in a box in my brain and be done with them. Possibly not what therapists recommend but it works for me. Maybe the unopened boxes will spring open and bite me on the bum one day. Or maybe they will stay safely filed away!

JaneJeffer Wed 10-Aug-16 00:16:18

I do that too ifancy. I just imagine a wheelie bin and put everything in there and stomp it down. I'm kind of worried about it bursting open and littering everywhere in the future but it works for now smile

babydances Wed 10-Aug-16 09:09:02

Thanks for everyone's advice.
smile

Ilikesweetpeas Wed 10-Aug-16 20:29:35

Thank you ifancy, I am on half of my original dose and plan on cutting down slowly. It's good to hear that you didn't suffer any side effects coming off them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now