Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is it bad to be hypomanic?

(8 Posts)
Tabsicle Wed 03-Aug-16 14:36:55

GP and partner say I am.

They say I have to call my CPN.

I don't want to. I feel fine. Really good. And I am tired of wasting my doctor's time when they have people with actual problems who need actual help. They changed my diagnosis from BP1 to BP2 as well which means I can't go manic so I'm not even in danger.

Can I ask to be discharged from the CMHT against GP's wishes? Would that work?

fuckmyfatlife Wed 03-Aug-16 16:03:30

It's a form of mental distress whether it feels good at the start or not. Your judgment will be impaired and you are at risk at the moment.

BP2 means you haven't had full blown mania yet not that you never ever can!

TychosNose Thu 04-Aug-16 20:57:12

The problem I've always found with hypo mania is the subsequent crash into depression. I don't know if you've ever found this but the more hypo manic I become, the worse the depression after. For me that has been a good reason to control my hypo mania.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Thu 04-Aug-16 21:00:18

Yes. It's bad. I know how good it feels.

Please listen to your GP and partner.

Hypomania can so easily blow up into full on mania. I almost lost everything - DC, partner, tons of money. Could have been arrested for about 5 different things.

It feels awesome but it's so, so dangerous.

flowers

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Thu 04-Aug-16 22:11:26

Last time I was hypomanic, the first month was amazing, until it went utterly tits up the following month and I ended up in hozzie. Best to nip it in the bud.

Broken1Girl Fri 05-Aug-16 01:09:43

Yes, it's bad, as the others said.
Ending up with no money and having to live on beans on toast, arguing with people to the detriment of the relationship...and yep the subsequent crash. I stop feeling good quite quickly and get irritable...Snd negative yet loads of energy...it's dangerous.
You know all this really. Please listen to the people who care about you and get help,

Tabsicle Fri 05-Aug-16 21:10:12

Saw CPN today then GP. I am now on diazepam and zoplicone for the moment on top of normal meds and seeing psych on Monday.

Kinda frustrated, and feeling like this is dumb, but trying to understand. I don't want this to end.

erinaceus Sat 06-Aug-16 08:26:58

Sending best wishes Tabsicle.

Well done for seeing your CPN and GP and sticking with it despite feeling frustrated. From my perspective you are wise and not dumb to listen to your partner and GP and reach out to your CPN and GP in the face of feeling really good.

FWIW your diagnosis does not affect your potential to go manic. That is not really how it works. For example, someone who has no diagnosis at all can develop hypomania or mania. It sounds as if your partner, GP and CPN are being caring and that you are being sensible. Take care of yourself.

erinaceus

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now