Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram and weight gain - is there a link?

(8 Posts)
SmileAndNod Tue 26-Jul-16 20:36:11

Now I have to say I'm of a peri menopausal age (43) and I drink more than I should. But over the last year, whilst I've been on the ADs the has crept on. This time last year I was a comfy 10/12, this summer I've had to buy on a credit card new clothes as literally nothing fits.

I feel fat and frumpy and freaky. I look like shit. And my head is shit too. I thought I was starting to feel better more positive after an horrendous experience last year.

I still have too much going on to come off them I feel. But I'm wondering if they're making me feel worse? I feel all muddled and stressed

Bottomchops Tue 26-Jul-16 20:45:59

I googled this to death but it just seems that everyone is different. The gp said it didn't. However, it completely slowed me down to a zombie like fog and I couldn't actually get myself together to do anything. I was so tired and dragging myself round. It was so hard to even get out of bed, and not in a depressed way, just an exhausted way. I could see how being like that would make someone put on weight, but not sure about it being inherently the pill iyswim.

feathermucker Wed 27-Jul-16 06:02:18

Mine gave me a massive appetite and I've gained a lot of weight since originally being on them.

But, they keep me on the level....mostly.

feathermucker Wed 27-Jul-16 06:03:01

Mine gave me a massive appetite and I've gained a lot of weight since originally being on them.

But, they keep me on the level....mostly.

Puffykins Wed 27-Jul-16 06:15:09

I definitely put on weight on Citalopram. Mainly because they left me exhausted and I just didn't care about myself enough to bother eating healthily. I have lost two stone (and trained for and run the London marathon) since coming off it.

SmileAndNod Wed 27-Jul-16 11:05:18

Good for you puffykins. I would love to lose two stone (don't own scales but I'm sure I've put on at least that).

I'm always exhausted, just life and running about, and so I eat more carby things than I should.

The medication has taken me over a year to feel better, it didn't really do anything for 6 months until the dose was upped to 40mg.
I almost darent stop taking it for fear of sliding back as my DGM is now quite seriously ill and the worry over her is getting too much me. But I feel and look like crap and that's making me unhappy too <shallow>

Sorry for waffling. So the weight gain may be a reversible thing?

Puffykins Wed 27-Jul-16 16:37:19

Yes I'd say it's reversible - definitely. I so understand what you mean though. I'm so sorry about your mother. Citalopram helped me a through a stage when I felt overwhelmed and out of control - my children were small, I was working etc. and it's not shallow to mind about the weight - I did, terribly. Be kind to yourself, if you can, and remember being kind to yourself sometimes means saying no to others and definitely means making time for yourself when you can. I now try to view self-maintenance - whether that's getting my highlights touched up, getting a monthly pedicure or going for a run - as essential to my sanity, and for me it is, because the end result is that I feel more together if my toenails are varnished, and thus act more together, and thus am more together. And running/ exercise helps me quell rising panic and reorder my thoughts. Good luck. And flowersflowers.

Puffykins Wed 27-Jul-16 16:38:42

Sorry- I mean your grandmother, not your mother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now