Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Don't know how to help DM - Advice needed, please.

(3 Posts)
HectorAndKiki Mon 18-Jul-16 16:24:16

could anyone please help me help my DM?

Basically my DM is 76, has been a widow for nearly 30 years and is very depressed, sleeps all the time and generally can't be bothered with anything at all.
She has seen her Dr who has prescribed Pregabalin Lyrica 76mg (don't know how many times a day) she hasn't started taking them yet, as she's had a read of the side effects and is worried by them, but she really needs something to help her. She feels Dr is just fobbing her off with anything without really listening. She has spoken to a counsellor on the phone, who while being a lovely young girl (my DM words) didn't really seem to grasp how my DM felt and the problems someone older faced - being alone, often treated as a bothersome old person and even sometimes ignored in shops.

I'll admit I've never suffered from anxiety or depression, I try to understand and help as much as I can (we live in different towns) but I just don't know where to turn to for advice and help - I just want someone to listen to my DM and advise her. DM really has lost the will to do anything and just wants someone (me) to sort it out for her.

I don't know what to say about this medication, I've looked on line and sometime people find it good, but lots don't and suffer side effects and then have problems when they stop taking it - DM has other health issues with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol and if this is a wonder drug and will help then it's worth the risk taking it, but what if it didn't help and then she's got the withdrawal problems?

Sorry if this post is rambling, I just don't know how to help and what to say to my DM. Thanks for reading this far

pippistrelle Mon 18-Jul-16 18:15:22

I feel for you, OP, and didn't want to leave your post unanswered even though I don't have a lot of specific advice to offer. But I did wonder if you could accompany your mother to her GP? That way, you can assess if she is being fobbed off, and act as her advocate, if necessary. Or, if getting there is too difficult, would your mother give her permission to call her GP. Then, at least, you'd have a clearer idea of the position.

HectorAndKiki Mon 18-Jul-16 21:28:25

Thank you for reply pipp. Yes, that's something I'm going to do DM for the first time has said that she would like me to go in with her and when there were going to give DM's permission for me to be able to ring to make appointments and ring for test results on her behalf (she panics when having to make phone calls, now sad )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now