Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

First Post - Late onset PND?

(3 Posts)
RibenaMummy Fri 15-Jul-16 20:33:51

I've been reading the forums on here for a long time but never posted but after an afternoon of sobbing in bed I feel like I need some help.
I am a late 20's first time mum to a beautiful 4 month old DD. I have a history of anxiety and have been treated via medication for the past 3 years but am now on minimum dose due to pregnancy then breastfeeding.
The past few weeks everything has suddenly become more gloomy. I have found myself making excuses to avoid going out to all the lovely NCT groups I had been enjoying up until now and just wanting to hide in bed with DD. With regards to my feelings towards DD I absolutely love her and at the moment she is the only thing I want to be involved with. To begin with I blamed the fact that I am exhausted as DD is still not sleeping more than 2 hours at a time at night and I am taking all the responsibility for night wakings with her on myself as DH works and I am breastfeeding and she absolutely refuses the bottle. But I'm now starting to wonder whether I may have post natal depression as I just want to curl up with DD and cry most of the time. Is this normal at 4 months post partum? My DH works such long hours in a stressful job - it is gone 8:30pm now and he has been gone since 6am this morning and likely still not to be back for another hour. This makes me feel both alone and not able to put my own troubles on him as he is so stressed himself. I don't have much family and no one I really feel like can help me.
I guess I'm just looking for some advice or someone to tell me things will get better.
Thanks for reading. x

TopazRocks Thu 21-Jul-16 19:51:13

Sorry you've had no replies. I did read when you posted - then forgot - I am a bear of very little brain just now. From what you say, it does sound like you need to talk to someone - a GP or a HV maybe. Obviously a random bod on the web can't diagnose - but if you've had anxiety/depression in the past, it is more likely postpartum. It's very common, and of necessary some AD meds can b used during pregnancy and BF. Please get yourself an appointment. Take care. It is a very hard stage you are at with a new baby.

Domitianus Wed 27-Jul-16 17:42:03

RibenaMummy,

PND may start more often a few weeks after birth but it can set in any time within the first year.

Your description sounds very much like PND and if you have had anxiety and/or depression before it would put you at higher risk.

Please do ask your GP or HV for help as PND can be well managed and helped once diagnosed. Don't accept a brush off from your GP - take someone along to help advocate for you if you need the help, but please do reach out for assistance.

D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now