Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Forming friendships & loneliness

(3 Posts)
MummyBtothree Fri 15-Jul-16 16:44:33

Anyone else with mental health problems feel lonely and have no friends?. I long for real friendship but don't seem able to commit to what other people want out of a friendship. Its not that im antisocial, im chatty and have 'acquaintances' but because of my depression and anxiety issues I make my excuses and turn down girlie nights out and general invites from people. This means people don't bother with me again or because they don't know me, get the complete wrong impression of me. All this makes me feel lower and my self esteem gets worse (if thats possible! ) and I get left behind and the loneliness snowballs. I long for a good friend. Is it possible???!!!.

RibenaMummy Fri 15-Jul-16 21:02:23

I know how you're feeling. I feel like I'm pushing people away due to my anxiety issues. I can't face going out a lot of the time and make excuses rather than being honest about my mental health. I think I give most people the impression I'm flaky when really it's just that I can't face the world that day. Pretty much the reason I joined on here is I find it easier to be honest on here to strangers than to people in my life. Sometimes getting it out of your system helps. Here if you need to vent. x

MummyBtothree Sun 17-Jul-16 08:47:13

Thanks RibenaMummy flowers
I get paranoid about people getting my character all wrong, which I know they do and I find it really upsetting. I was managing the chat at the school gates with a small group but after turning down a few invites I get overlooked now like im funny or antisocial which isn't the case, I just don't feel up to doing alot lately, especially with new people and yet I crave friends!. I think you're right in telling people would help but im afraid of being judged about my mental health issues and find it hard trusting people these days sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now