Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Constant anxiety about new house (long post sorry!)

(12 Posts)
Mumble29 Sun 10-Jul-16 20:23:19

Hi, this my first post on here but I really need some help. We bought our first house in December, just before that I came off citralopram which I had been on for about 5/6 years) I'd been coping really well ( I had severe health anxiety) anyway we moved in just before Christmas and its been awful.
We moved to Kent from London (where I have lived my whole life) and straight away found problems in the house that didn't flag up on the survey. We have been lucky enough to have money which dh dad left us when he died to be able to fix some of the issues, but the move has kick-started my anxiety, I thought I was coping but 2 weeks ago got told at work my job would be changing. My anxiety is now extremely bad.
I've had to change doctors and my new one has put me back on 10mg of citralopram and signed me off of work.
This time though the citralopram doesn't seem to be working (when I first went on them years ago I started off on 40mg and eventually went down to 10) and I actually feel worse, my mind is racing constantly and my normal health anxiety seems to have been replaced by worrying about this house, I'm obsessed there is is something seriously wrong and think that it is going to fall down ( sounds ridiculous when I write it down but can't help the thoughts) I don't feel safe here and feel like I've made a terrible mistake. I really feel like I'm going mad. Please help.

Bottomchops Sun 10-Jul-16 20:45:58

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I'm no expert but they will take a few weeks to work, maybe 4-6, and things can get worse before they get better. Stay in touch with your gp. I hope you feel calmer soon flowers

Dozer Sun 10-Jul-16 20:49:27

As bottomchops says it might take a while for the drugs to work, and moving and job changes have flared your anxiety up - you were doing OK before this and hopefully will do again once things settle down.

I found moving was bad anxiety wise but when we lived in london in a victorian flat I was often v anxious the house would actually crumble!

Mumble29 Sun 10-Jul-16 20:57:10

Dozer this is a Victorian terraced house, and what hasn't helped tonight is we heard a bang earlier and when I went out in the garden there was a magpie on the roof and it had knocked a lose piece of chimney off (think it was from neighbours side) it was only a small bit but this has started me off again. This house is constantly bringing up nasty surprises, I feel like screaming and laughing hysterically all at the same time!!!!!

Dozer Sun 10-Jul-16 21:10:44

Eek!

They are really lovely houses and very well built too apparently. But with their age will have the odd surprise! You know yourself and take care of yourself and get any help you need while you're feeling like this!

Mumble29 Sun 10-Jul-16 22:23:02

Thank you, I know it all seems so silly bit everything is so overwhelming at the moment. Hopefully the citralopram will kick in soon

llhj Sun 10-Jul-16 22:27:48

Go back to GP and ask her to consider increasing dose. Have you tried CBT? Sympathies, this is horrible.

Mumble29 Sun 10-Jul-16 23:10:56

Yes Ilhj I have tried CBT before and it didn't work for me sad

Kummerspeck Sun 10-Jul-16 23:19:59

Mumble I know anxiety isn't logical but it might help to realise that it is normal to be a bit anxious when you move. I can remember feeling quite panicky when we found stuff with our house (similar era to yours) after moving in. You are probably just feeling this more than normal
What helped me was repeating to myself that the house had been here in existence longer than I had and hadn't fallen apart yet so wasn't likely to and was possibly likely to last longer than new build homes.

Bottomchops is right. Citalopram can take weeks to get going and you can feel worse before you feel better. You may even need to increase the dose so keep in touch with GP and be kind to yourself

Mumble29 Mon 11-Jul-16 07:57:56

Thank you everyone, for your help. Going to book another doc appointment today.

BambooBambii Mon 11-Jul-16 13:44:24

Mumble29 - hi!! So sorry to hear of your troubles, anxiety is often misunderstood and very hard to treat. I suffer from anxiety (4 years now), when I moved house this year it set off a chain of panic attacks that have now caused me to lose my job (absolutely gutted - but I'm appealing and have an interview this week for somewhere else!) so I totally understand where you're coming from.

I was on Citalopram for ages but it didn't help the physical side of anxiety (Attacks etc.) I then went onto propanolol which helped for a bit. I'm now on Atarax which is actually an anti- histamine but works amazingly for me to reduce the panics. Acts as a mild sedative and I'm not even on Citalopram now.

Also, have you tried Rescue Remedy? They do them in lozenge or spray form, and I find them a comfort to have in my handbag when I'm feeling extra stressed. A little pricey but mine have lasted absolutely ages. Also try and find a good therapist who can talk things through. Gentle exercise always helps too - bobs in some headphones, listen to music and go for a lovely walk. smile Plus the music drowns out those worries!

Do message me if you ever want to talk, its tough. Stay strong! x

Mumble29 Mon 11-Jul-16 14:17:10

Thank you Bamboo smile sorry to hear you lost your job because of your anxiety, I hope your interview goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now