Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Health anxiety about breast cancer

(11 Posts)
mishmash1979 Mon 04-Jul-16 21:38:24

2.5 years ago I started to experience sporadic breast pain. I was referred for physio and things does down. 6m later my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer. My breast pain then became at the fore front of my mind. Since then I have had a numerous GP appointments, 3 breast clinic referrals mammogram, ultrasound and breast biopsies and all are "within normal range". The pain is now excruciating and I am taking daily pain relief and it's all the time. It's all consuming and I look at my breasts daily to check for cancer signs. What makes the anxiety worse is that I really do have the symptoms of rare forms of breast cancer. Today there is a discolouration to my breast and the follicles r visible. I just want to stay in bed all day and not move in the hope that the pain and stress will go away. I don't want to stop stressing and then miss a symptom but I just want to not worry I have cancer anymore.

gottachangethename1 Mon 11-Jul-16 19:43:38

Awful isn't it. I have had almost the same problem for the last two years, however as well as pain I also had other symptoms. Had mammogram, ultrasound and all was ok, but radiographer told me to keep an eye on things. Cue an obsession with checking 50+ times per day & every waking moment thinking I had breast cancer. Things got so bad I went for CBT. This has helped and I think it could help you. You've been checked several times, trust me they would have spotted something by now, even if it was a rare type of cancer. Breast pain can occur for numerous benign reasons and I find my symptoms are always so much worse when I'm obsessing over them. Please get some CBT. Like me, you've wasted enough of your life (and sanity) on this. Don't google symptoms, try to cut back
On checking and try to stop worrying. flowers for you.

mishmash1979 Mon 11-Jul-16 20:02:42

Thank you so much for replying. Was beginning to think I was the only one. Have had an awful weekend with lots of pain and hubbie really worrying now and wants me to go private so I know one way or the other. Started amitryptline yesterday (had for over a week but didn't want to take) in the hope it helps pain and anxiety.

gottachangethename1 Mon 11-Jul-16 21:38:07

I ended up going private, after we went on holiday and I spent the whole time crying about my fears. Cost a lot but they were able to devote more time to explaining why my breast was doing what it was doing and to explain that pain and even blood! Does not have to mean cancer. Please get help, life is too short to torture yourself in this way.

Reapwhatyousow Wed 20-Jul-16 13:18:00

Mishmash - I can only say that you must do what you feel is right so go private if that helps you. Whatever you feel is okay, it's such a personal issue.
This is what happened to me:
I had been on HRT for 2 years.
2011, aged 48 I was invited to my first screening, I attended, didn't give it a 2nd thought. It never once occured to me that I would be recalled. Well, I was recalled and naturally I was very upset to put it midly. I had no symptoms whatsoever and no family history. I was diagnosed with ILC which is relatively rare. A 100% Estrogen fed cancer, surgery, not so bad, some reconstruction & I am now on Tamoxifen for 10 years. Thanks be to God it had not spread.

I was given plenty of time during appointments to express my fears, feelings and to ask questions & take my own time.

Please believe, they do know what they are looking for. As my GP told me, "if you go looking for pussycats you will find them."

Five years later I am still well but I do understand your fears. I experienced breast pain in my 30's and I knew that was hormonal but did not know the link between Estrogen & breast cancer.

I hope all will be well with you and please do enjoy life. I've only praise for the NHS in my treatment. x

mishmash1979 Wed 20-Jul-16 18:25:46

Thanks. I have been waiting for a call since Monday from the breast cancer nurses as my breast is really just not right. My concern is IBC which is also a very rare cancer with a poor prognosis. Also very difficult to recognise/diagnose till stage 3 or 4. I just wish someone would listen to me. My symptoms are getting worse as is the pain but my anxiety is out of control. Going to call private clinic tomoro

Reapwhatyousow Thu 21-Jul-16 17:18:08

Please let us know how you get on mishmash.

mishmash1979 Sat 23-Jul-16 18:40:36

Thank u. Went to GP on Friday; she looked at my breast and said "from your description of the phone I was expecting a hard, purple breast. This breast is fine". She has agreed to re-refer to breast clinic so they can have a look and make their own mind up and explain what the bumps and discolouration is about. I am in so much pain and cannot have any fabric touch the breast. Am drugged up to the eyeballs (painkillers) toget through the day. Why can knowone see what I see??? The private clinic couldn't c me till a week on Monday so am going to keep that appointment until other referral comes through

lovechocolate123 Thu 28-Jul-16 16:38:49

Mishmash- did you get an appointment? How are you feeling?
I have had CBT for health anxiety so I can really sympathise with you.

mishmash1979 Fri 29-Jul-16 18:39:22

I have been the-referred back to breast clinic as stinging breast pain is too much to bear and discolouration still there. IF all ok this time will seal to GP about CBT

lovechocolate123 Fri 29-Jul-16 21:36:58

Let us know how you get on. Yes think CBT could help. It helped me a bit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now