Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Low dose anti-psychotic for sleep issues

(9 Posts)
Natsku Fri 01-Jul-16 23:47:26

Has anyone tried this? I'm desperate for sleep now as I've had recurring nightmares for the last two years about people trying to kill me and in the last 6 weeks its gotten much much worse. I've always had insomnia but this is on another level. And when I wake up I'm still in the nightmare for a while and get anxiety attacks. So because of this the psychiatrist today prescribed a low dose anti-psychotic (1mg risperidone) but I'm feeling quite anxious about taking such medication

CrazyCatMum Sat 02-Jul-16 11:54:54

I'm probably too late now but I take anti-psychotics not for sleep issues but I do have them. I was on risperdone at one point and they did help with my sleep, the low dose was ok but when she increased them I was like a zombie.
I would try the 1 mg, it's a really low dose and should hopefully relax you enough to get some sleep.

Natsku Sat 02-Jul-16 16:02:04

Thanks. I didn't try it last night because I had a few drinks, might try it tonight.

erinaceus Sun 03-Jul-16 11:17:04

I did try a low-dose antipsychotic for sleep and anxiety. If you are going to try it, my unsolicited advice would be to try the lowest dose you can on a day you do not have anything planned for the following day, and to keep talking to your psychiatrist and your treatment team about your anxiety about taking it and about how you get on.

I am not sure how relevant my experience of the medication is to you, because every person responds to each medication differently. At the time I tried it, I was able to access telephone support and I did not have to wait to see the psychiatrist to talk about my anxiety. Do you have such support?

Probably wise not to take it for the first time when you have had a few drinks, though, I would agree.

Natsku Sun 03-Jul-16 12:09:27

All I have to do tomorrow is take DD to daycare so I think I'll try it tonight. My therapist has just started her 6 week summer holiday so can't call her but the psychiatrist office is still open for another week so can call there at least if there's an issue and get a phone appointment.

CharminglyGawky Sun 03-Jul-16 12:50:30

I've been given a low dose anti-psychotic before as an anti-emetic. They often help with different symptoms so can be appropriate even when it seems like an odd choice! I quite like mine, they helped anyway but the fact that they were an anti-psychotic did put me off a bit at first!

Natsku Mon 04-Jul-16 08:00:21

Took it last night and did not sleep well, no nightmares at least but woke up a lot and had a weird tightness in my calf muscles that was very uncomfortable. Really difficult to wake up this morning.

CrazyCatMum Tue 05-Jul-16 12:16:49

I found it took a couple of days for my system to get used to it. Mornings were hard but did get better. Maybe try taking it at a different time. Sometimes it's just trial and error.
Hope you got a better sleep last night.

Natsku Tue 05-Jul-16 12:39:53

I didn't try it again last night, the previous night really put me off. Maybe when I have a day when I don't have a set time to get up. Very little sleep last night but full of energy today - my body is very odd at times!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now