Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

registering as disabled

(25 Posts)
NicknameNotTaken Fri 01-Jul-16 14:04:25

Hi everyone, I've got a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder and moderate depression and was wondering about registering as disabled. Do I need to be receiving PIP or DLA for this? So confusing! Thanks.

BuzzingTulip Fri 01-Jul-16 17:06:30

What purpose would you be doing this for?

AndNowItsSeven Fri 01-Jul-16 17:18:41

There is no register for disabled people for decades.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 01-Jul-16 17:19:41

Disability is defined as: 'a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities'
If you meet the above criteria you are disabled.

zzzzz Fri 01-Jul-16 17:27:00

There isn't a register, just people, some of whom are disabled confused

Jasonandyawegunorts Fri 01-Jul-16 17:27:59

As others have said there isn't a disability register.... For some reason people realllllly think there is.

dogdrifts Fri 01-Jul-16 17:44:14

What do you imagine the purpose of such a thing would be, op?

You can of course apply for any benefits you think you need, in the same way that anyone else in the country can...

Need and eligibility is defined by the application process for the benefit in question.

My daughter is blonde, bright and disabled. None of them require a register and she is free to identify with all of those characteristics. Sometimes she needs additional support because of the third one, so we apply for whatever it is that she needs.

Needs are very different from a blanket label, thankfully. A register would just add an additional layer of burden of proof and red tape for little or no purpose, and potentially be used for exclusion rather than inclusion. No one who identifies as disabled (or differently abled) requires any more bureaucracy in their lives.

Groovee Fri 01-Jul-16 17:45:46

I get PIP for fibromyalgia and would class myself disabled as I have care and mobility issues.

But there is no register to apply to to be registered as disabled.

NicknameNotTaken Fri 01-Jul-16 17:54:47

It's because when you're applying for some types of housing you get priority if you're registered as disabled and I do consider myself disabled. I consider myself to be lots of other things too, but they won't be useful when applying for a house, dogdrifts, iyswim. smile

AndNowItsSeven Fri 01-Jul-16 17:59:30

That's not true because there is no register! Re the housing they just mean are you disabled often evidence of disability is dla pip but you don't need to be in receipt of either .

NicknameNotTaken Fri 01-Jul-16 18:04:48

It does make a difference for the share to buy scheme, I'm pretty sure. But if it's not possible to register unless it's for a blue badge etc then everyone in the same position as me will have the same chance of getting a flat, which seems fair to me! Thanks for your help everyone smile

Jasonandyawegunorts Fri 01-Jul-16 18:06:15

It does make a difference for the share to buy scheme, I'm pretty sure. But if it's not possible to register unless it's for a blue badge etc

There is no register.

Jasonandyawegunorts Fri 01-Jul-16 18:07:13

Blue badge or not this register doesn't exist.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 01-Jul-16 18:15:39

No, for the share to buy it makes a difference if you are disabled full stop. Blue badges and dla/pip are irrelevant.

AgnetaTheViking Fri 01-Jul-16 18:19:16

Sorry but people on this thread are misinformed. There is such a thing as 'registered disabled'. Local authorities hold the register. They are required by law to register people with visual disabilities and have the option of registering other disabilities. Some councils do, and offer concessions to those who choose to register, and some don't.


Oxford County Council do.


West Sussex County Council don't.

dogdrifts Fri 01-Jul-16 18:20:18

For housing, you will need to provide some proof of disability, for blue badge, ditto. Each service where you get support, extra points, or whatever, will have their own burden of proof that is required (sometimes consultant's reports, or evidence of being in receipt of certain other benefits that have had their own burden of proof requirements in the application process).

The requirement to be registered as disabled in order to x, y or z does not exist, because there is no register to be registered on. Whether or not you want to have your disability recognized for share to buy, there is no disability register. You can 'prove' your disability in any number of ways, (including having already jumped through the bureaucratic hoops to have a blue badge, or be in receipt of DLA - both of which apply for us) but being on a disability register ain't one of them.

Dd2 has a blue badge. She is in receipt of HR DLA with mobility element. She is disabled.

She is not registered disabled. There is no disability register.

You will need to check the small print of the share to buy scheme to identify which burden of proof they require to accept your application as a person with a disability.

But there is nowhere you can register as disabled that will provide you with the burden of proof required.

BuzzingTulip Fri 01-Jul-16 18:23:33

You were posting that you were bipolar last month hmm

Anyway, there is no register.

Hope you get your house, and your diagnosis, sorted.

AgnetaTheViking Fri 01-Jul-16 18:30:13

There IS a register.*

*depending on where you live and/or your disability.

zeeboo Fri 01-Jul-16 18:48:58

I live in a county with a register but I haven't registered on it. I do however receive a blue badge from that very council and receive DLA. Rules for MH disabilities and PIP are quite stringent so you'll just have to apply and see what happens. Most people with BPD or bi-polar have no need of the level of care or supervision that you need for PIP though so just getting a diagnosis doesn't mean you suddenly need or will receive any benefits.

NicknameNotTaken Fri 01-Jul-16 19:56:08

I'm not looking for PIP or DLA, or to be on 'a register', but I was asking whether it was possible to have my disability registered as a way of recognising it. Anyway, thanks all.

buzzingtulip - BPD is something most people haven't heard of, and is also very stigmatised so unless it's necessary I tend to say I have bipolar as people are usually less judgy about it.

NicknameNotTaken Fri 01-Jul-16 19:57:21

sorry if the above sounded short - trying on my phone. Thanks for all your advice, and I'm sure I can get it sorted now smile

NicknameNotTaken Fri 01-Jul-16 19:57:45

Typing not trying - I give up. blush

Dizzydodo Fri 01-Jul-16 20:06:57

There used to be a register, held by each local authority since the introduction of the Care Act this is no longer required, in our local authority it doesn't exist anymore, I don't know if this is the case everywhere. You can still be registered blind or partially sighted though.

user1466864758 Sat 02-Jul-16 12:06:48

Look at the requirements for getting PIP, which is awarded to help with the increased costs/support needed by someone with a disabling condition. PIp opens up being able to claim for other benefits.

Despite what has been said above, plenty of people do get PIP for mental illness. It's more often for bipolar or schizophrenia. I'm not sure of how it works for BPD.

I get the higher rate of PIP and my husband gets carer's allowance for my bipolar. It also means I get free bus travel. It's not means tested--I work full time in HE and I'm the sole earner (we have 2 DDs). I was awarded PIP with no interview for 3 years. Unfortunately, bipolar can very well disable someone enough to qualify for PIP. Getting PIP and carer's allowance means DH can be a SAHD. I don't know how he could cope with working and looking after me when I'm ill.

HildurOdegard Sun 03-Jul-16 07:30:32

I'm in the process of getting PIP for BPD - and I know there are others on this board who already receive it.

As far as council/HA goes, I've never heard of needing to be "registered disabled", every one I've dealt with has a 'medical needs' form which can be filled in along with the housing application. On this you get to list your health issues and if you've recently been diagnosed then you can include a photocopy of your diagnosis and/or they can contact your GP for confirmation.

I have never needed to be on any form of 'register'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now