Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Mental Health friendly advice please

(2 Posts)
Evelyn72 Tue 28-Jun-16 10:40:14

Hi, I have suffered from depression most of my adult life, this has manifested itself in many ways over the years anger, sadness, insecurity you name it, but in my 20's and 30's I was in a very abusive marriage and always had some crisis or another either emotional or physical going on, somehow I managed to get through the days, weeks, years. fast forward a few years and I am now in a loving relationship, stable life and loving family life. Yet despite this I am crippled by depression.

I am scared to be honest, I could spend all day sleeping and feeling hopeless and useless, I think my family would be better off without me and I cannot see a way out. I am currently on Venlaflaxine 75mg daily, and I know my Doctor wishes to raise my dose, the ven makes me feel lethargic and increasing the dose makes me sleep through the day, I have a toddler this is not an option.

Has anybody else been through this and come out the other side?

Thanks for reading this is a very diluted version.

Clonakiltylil Tue 28-Jun-16 23:19:21

Hello. I am on Venlafaxine too but I take 150mg, usually at night. I seem to react differently though as sleepiness isn't really a problem for me.
I think you are really going to notice the difference if you increase if you are drowsy on 75g. At that dosage I had no effect. Is it the right AD for you though, if the depression is still so bad? I had to go through 5 before Venlafaxine and this was the only one that worked for me.

I would go back to the GP; I feel bad that you feel people would be better off without you; I know what it is like to feel that. It isn't true, you know - they love and care for you, I am sure...

I 'd ask the GP about talking therapy; I have done that for 3 years now and it's coming to an end. I want to stop the Venlafaxine by the end of the year too.
It can get better but you need the right help - many doors will have to be knocked on. If there's a friend to assist , it'll won't seem so lonely. I had to do it alone but I managed it. You will come through.
Take care and best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now