Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Prescriptions how many tablets for one cost of a prescription?

(9 Posts)
Mackers123 Tue 14-Jun-16 13:13:32

Hi all, can anyone throw some light on this? i am on Sertraline 50mg and when I get my prescription I get two strips (4 weeks), my husband who is on 10mg citalopram gets 56 (8 weeks).

is this because he is on a lower dose? I don't want to ring the Doctors and find out his is wrong and he should be paying more but if there is a chance I could be paying less then I would like to know.

Thanks

Northumberlandlass Tue 14-Jun-16 13:15:57

Not sure, but I take 20mg of Citalopram & get 3 months at a time. Could it not be more likely that they want to reassess you more often? I say that kindly..
When I first started taking them, I had to go back every month

Mackers123 Tue 14-Jun-16 14:09:12

they have never asked me back to check up on me. I have been paying every 4 weeks on a single prescription charge for about year & a half

wonkylegs Tue 14-Jun-16 14:16:35

I suspect that the higher dose is flagged so they monitor the repeat prescription rate, this might just be a computer review.
Do you have a pre-payment prescription card if you have more than a certain number of prescriptions a year it can save you money?

Mackers123 Tue 14-Jun-16 14:22:46

No I don't have a pre-payment card, will look at that.

incogKNEEto Tue 14-Jun-16 16:34:58

Definitely worth looking at the card, if you have more than 12 prescriptions a year it should save you money.

InTheSandPit Tue 14-Jun-16 16:42:52

My GP prescribed 56 tablets of 50mg Setraline.

cutefluffyunicorn Tue 14-Jun-16 17:50:43

there is no reason. It is just down to what the GP decides to prescribe! Sometimes there may be a reason for prescribing fewer t a time (eg concerns about safety, possibly changing dose, more regular reviews needed etc) but if you are stable on your dose, and have been for a while, there is no reason why GP couldn't prescribe 56 instead of 28 at a time (or even 3 months at a time as in OP case)
I would ring up and ask GP.
TBH the GP has in all probability not even considered prescription charge as a factor, possibly assuming you don't pay for prescriptions or more likely just not considering it!

cutefluffyunicorn Tue 14-Jun-16 17:52:49

and relatively speaking 50mg of sertraline(max 200mg) isn't a higher dose then 10mg of citaolpram (max 40mg)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now