Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram, Sertraline, Amitriptyline, Mirtazipine and now Fluoxetine

(22 Posts)
NaraDeer Mon 13-Jun-16 20:25:19

So I've got a box of Fluoxetine to start tonight. So far over the years I've been on Citalipram, Sertraline, Mirtazipine and Amitriptyline and had various side effects that meant I had to come off of them.
I'm so hoping this new one helps me, I'm feeling very discouraged about anti depressants now but I really need the help.

Has anyone got on well with Fluoxetine? Or had to go through a couple of them to find the right one?

LoveAGoodRummage Mon 13-Jun-16 20:56:11

I went through Citalopram and Paroxetine before finally settling on Fluoxetine. I've had no major issues apart from the strangest, vivid dreams. Hope they work for you.

CrazyDuchess Mon 13-Jun-16 20:59:10

I also settled on Fluoxetine and found it kicks in pretty quickly! I've been on between 20 - 60mg and I have found it helpful.

My GP told me to take at bed time to ease the nausea (but was also taking a butt load of other Meds!)

ChipInTheSugar Mon 13-Jun-16 21:09:22

I've done Prozac, fluoxetine ( same but different), citalopram and now increasing doses of sertraline. I think I just get used to one and it doesn't have as good an effect. Could prob do with going up to 200mg or changing again. Don't like the teeth clenching with sertraline.

NaraDeer Mon 13-Jun-16 22:00:02

It's reassuring that you've both found this one ok, Love and Duchess.
How long were/have you been on it for, if you don't mind me asking?

It's odd how differently they affect everyone.
Amitriptyline worked the best out of the last four but it knocked me out for 12 hours straight, with although was very helpful when I was struggling to sleep, wasn't great when having to deal with a 2 year old waking at night.

A few people I've spoke to have said they got on best with Sertraline, Chip. It have me awful stomach cramps within days so I didn't really try it for long.
I did occasionally get teeth clenching on the Amitriptyline and it is horrible, I couldn't stop myself either.

CrazyDuchess Tue 14-Jun-16 09:42:54

Errrr on and off for about 10 years - currently off as managing okay now and trying the CBT/Mindfulness/exercise and diet route

LoveAGoodRummage Tue 14-Jun-16 10:04:24

For about 15 months or so I think. I'm in the process of weaning off them and so far so good.

MountainDweller Tue 14-Jun-16 23:49:52

I did well on fluoxetine for several years, having tried a few other ADs.

Had to stop last year as I developed a tremor, but this is unusual and I am on lots of other meds.

Am on Valdoxan now which I don't think is as good. It helps me sleep but not much else. My choices are v limited now as I can't take anything that acts on serotonin.

I hope the fluoxetine works for you.

NaraDeer Wed 15-Jun-16 13:17:35

Sorry to hear that, Mountain. flowers

I'm feeling pretty good so far. Only two days in but the overwhelming tiredness from the Mirtazipine has stopped which is a relief smile

Hopefully these ones work for me.
Good luck with coming off them Duchess and Love, hope it's goes well for you both.

CateNoviceBaker Wed 15-Jun-16 14:56:18

I take Mirtazipine to help me sleep, as prescribed by GP. I take it an hour before I want to go to sleep and it works like a dream, pun intended

Is this not how everyone else takes it? I also take Citalopram when I wake up but can become very fatigued about 2 hours after. Is this normal?

NaraDeer Thu 16-Jun-16 09:02:04

Yes I was taking Mirtazipine before bed and it helped me sleep, the problem was it was making me feel on the verge of falling asleep all day as well, I was constantly exhausted on it and had to nap during the day as well as go to bed at 7 at night even if I hadn't taken my pill yet.

CateNoviceBaker Thu 16-Jun-16 13:58:58

Thank you so much NaraDeer. I've spoken to my GP about the lethargy I'm feeling and how I can literally fall asleep at any time, he didn't seem that concerned.
I've also put on a massive amount of weight since I've been taking them (6 stone in 7-8 months) and that isn't helping with the low moods.
I guess its back to the GP again.

NaraDeer Fri 17-Jun-16 11:36:23

Oh yes, the weight gain is ridiculous.
I was eating so much, it's like I was never full! I put on half a stone in just under 2 weeks.
You're completely right Cate, for a vast majority of people weight gain especially as extreme as what you've had is not going to do anything to help you become happier.
I really would push your GP to try another one, are you on it just to help sleep? Have you tried any others before?

CateNoviceBaker Fri 17-Jun-16 23:54:44

My GP keeps telling me that Mirazapine is very good at done what it does. I've asked to switch or to come off it altogether but I still need something to help me sleep. If I don't take it I'm wake at the same time as feeling really tired, not a great combination.
The GP is concerned about my weight but hasn't offered any solutions other than to eat celery. I've always been slim so I feel really uncomfortable, my normal weight is around 8 stone so the addition of 6 stones nearly doubles my weight........argggggg!

NaraDeer Sat 18-Jun-16 11:26:58

I was on Amitriptyline before and that was very good at helping me get a full nights sleep but it didn't make me drowsy all day or have an effect on weight/appetite.
I know it's not as simple as telling them to swap you over, but might be worth asking?
Ask what happens if you stay on it for another 6 months and put on the same amount of weight again. Maybe that will help him consider at alternative?

LadyDeadpool Sat 18-Jun-16 11:44:43

I've gone through the exact same list as you smile I'm on fluoxetine now with quetiapine for anxiety and I am able to cope most days. It's been the most helpful combination and I didn't gain weight on it like I did with everything else. I came off citalopram because it made me suicidal and almost landed me as an inpatient but now I have more good days than bad.

KindDogsTail Sat 18-Jun-16 11:53:36

CrazyDuchess Tue 14-Jun-16 09:42:54
Errrr on and off for about 10 years - currently off as managing okay now and trying the CBT/Mindfulness/exercise and diet route

You might be interested in this article by PubMed
Rapid Recovery from Depression using Magnesium
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16542786

Case histories are presented showing rapid recovery (less than 7 days) from major depression using 125-300 mg of magnesium (as glycinate and taurinate) with each meal and at bedtime. Magnesium was found usually effective for treatment of depression in general use. Related and accompanying mental illnesses in these case histories including traumatic brain injury, headache, suicidal ideation, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, postpartum depression, cocaine, alcohol and tobacco abuse, hypersensitivity to calcium, short-term memory loss and IQ loss were also benefited

CrazyDuchess Sat 18-Jun-16 13:13:19

Thank you Kind dog - I'll look into it football

CrazyDuchess Sat 18-Jun-16 13:13:30

Err meant flowers

pinkieandperkie Sat 18-Jun-16 13:26:33

I was on fluoxetine a few years ago now. I remember it gave me very vivid dreams and I also had loss of appetite. I wasn't complaining as I was a little chubby then. Strangely I found that all colours seemed a lot brighter to me. I didn't have any side effects.

CateNoviceBaker Thu 23-Jun-16 19:11:38

NaraDeer thank you for your suggestion. I'm planning to see my GP in the next couple of weeks and I will ask him about Amitriptyline.

What I really need is a medication that curbs my appetite, perhaps pinkieandperkie's suggestion of Fluoxetine is what I need.

I just want my old self back, the one that was confident, trim and sociable.

NaraDeer Thu 23-Jun-16 20:25:07

I have to say Fluoxetine is doing wonders for me. I have the odd night where I struggle to fall asleep but I'm a lot happier and indeed my appetite has gone right down and am losing the weight Mirtazipine gave me.
I really hope you find what works for you Cate. It can be so hard and confusing with all the different ones out there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now