Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Will it ever get easier??

(2 Posts)
Moomoomonkey Fri 10-Jun-16 23:09:29

My partner tried to kill himself 18 months ago. Since then he has been passed back and forth between the GP and mental health team with lots of different drugs tried.
He just doesn't seem any better. He has been off work for weeks, barely gets out of bed, won't talk to me, just says he's thinking. I feel like I may as well not be here.
I know this may seem selfish, but it's all getting to me now. A friend asked if I was ok earlier and I just burst into tears and it all came out. She was sectioned a few years back so can give advice from the other side of the fence. She's saying he has to want to help himself and that I should make sure I look after myself and that I'm happy.
I just want to know that there's light at the end of the tunnel. That this may get easier one day

Whensmyturn Fri 10-Jun-16 23:18:48

I would agree with your friends advice. The most important thing is to keep yourself happy and on an even keel. Then you're task is to be as steady as you can for your partner, keep it upbeat, constant reminders that you love him, even when he's driving you mad and try not to make any emotional demands on him yourself. See if you can find someone to be your emotional rock for a while. Remember it's his problem to deal with. You can only do the above to help him. It does feel like a long slow road but you will get there and you've probably forgotten the good relationship you had but you will get it back (expect him to be very selfish for some time though he can only manage to think of himself for now). Hang in there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now