Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline Help

(11 Posts)
Tans1987 Fri 27-May-16 21:09:45

Hi ladies
I am after some help if possible. I have spoken to a few ladies on here but I am worried. I am now 23 weeks pregnant and I was on citalapram when I fell pregnant as I am a panic attack sufferer. I came off those gradually and have had 12 weeks without anything. Well things have been getting worse and I've had an attack everyday. It all got too much and the GP has now prescribed me Sertraline which I have just started but I am so worried about the affects it has on my unborn baby, but the attacks have been really bad too. I feel like I don't know what's best X

isobel79 Mon 30-May-16 15:23:22

Hi

I was on setraline throughout my whole pregnancy. Before I was pregnant my dose was 50mg a day. When I found out I was pregnant my GP said it wasn't advisable to continue however we decided that I could take 50mg every other day. I did that right up until I had my LO who is now nearly three months old.

I would discuss any worries you have with your GP. I felt I needed the medication more through my pregnancy as it was a tough time. Also post birth I have gone back up to 100mg.

I am no doctor but if I had given up the medication completely I would not like to think of the consequences on my own mental well being.

Good luck

Tans1987 Mon 30-May-16 17:00:48

Hello
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm worrying taking them and I was a mess before I started taking them. It feels like I am going round in circles. But I can't handle the panic attacks they are awful and again I don't know what harm that does to an unborn baby. Did your little one experience any withdrawal affects from the meds? X

isobel79 Mon 30-May-16 17:23:38

That's OK. Tbh I was told setraline was one of the safest ad to take during pregnancy as I like u was concerned about taking it. Post pregnancy I spoke to one of the doctors at the hospital about taking it whilst BF and they advised the risk was minimal.
He is thriving and if he is having any withdrawal symptoms I haven't noticed anything. When he has been seen by doctors and HV he seems absolutely fine . I guess as he gets older and if he is having side effects I by then will know. He is not being BF now either and is FF not because of the meds but because of the problems I had BF.

For me coming off the meds I believe would have caused more harm than if I didn't stay on them.

Do talk to ur Gp though. As if u are concerned maybe they could give some better reassurance or prescribe something else. Hope that helpssmile

Tans1987 Mon 30-May-16 17:47:30

Thank you
I really appreciate you talking to me. It's really hard because I know if people haven't been through it they don't really understand. My midwife has said to me that anxiety can increase during pregnancy anyway, so as a anxious person it was bound to happen. I am so pleased your little one is doing well. That makes me smile. I have my midwife appointment on Friday. I will have another chat with her as you have advised. smile are you still taking the medication now? Xx

isobel79 Mon 30-May-16 18:13:09

U very welcome.
I am still on the meds back up to 100mg.
I have been on sertraline for a few years and it has helped. But I agree with your midwife anxiety does increase because u worry about your unborn child. I did throughout my whole pregnancy because I did suffer a couple of complications. Yet my little bundle is here.

There so much worry around medication. But I continued.

Once I even went to the chemist for lockets and the pharmacist told me I couldn't take them because I was pregnant!!!! So u just can't winshock

Tans1987 Mon 30-May-16 18:25:15

I have heard good things about these meds. How old is your little bundle now? Ha sometimes pharmacists can be too cautious. Did you have any extra scans or be monitored a bit more because of the meds? X

HonniBee Mon 30-May-16 18:39:56

Hi,
I also took sertraline throughout my pregnancy.
I was on 50mg before I got pregnant. GP and I agreed I would cut down, but I found that very challenging so ended up going back up to 50mg per day. I didn't have to have any extra checks, but I was referred to a service called Perinatal Mental Health. I have a practitioner who has visited me twice before birth and is monitoring me now. They also got me counselling at the children's centre. So all the extra input I've had has focussed on me rather than my baby.
He's 1 week old now and is absolutely fine. In fact he is perfect! smile like Isobel there's been no signs of withdrawal, he's feeding like a champion and had already gained weight since birth.

My point of view is if I'm not looking after myself in terms of anxiety, I will not be able to care for him (both in pregnancy and after). You have to look after yourself first!

Good luck, it can be tricky and anxieties can come up as pregnancy progresses, but it is all worth it in the end.

isobel79 Mon 30-May-16 18:54:49

Well said honnibee and I too have counselling but this counselling has been ongoing since 2007 to date and that support along with the meds has been tremendous.

My little man is 12 weeks old on Thursday. He eats like a trooper and I sometimes wonder if I am feeding him too much. The only problem he has is reflux which is horrible at times but other than that he's wonderful.

I only had monitoring because I had to have a cervical suture at 19 weeks because it looked as if I was losing him. BUT I didn't have any monitoring because of the meds. This is where I used my GP to the fullest so I had that support and also my midwife was good. U have to be open and honest and like honnibee said u have to look after yourself first.
I'm not gonna lie and say post pregnant has been a bunch of roses it's been tough. However if Ididn't have the support of medication along with family and the health service I'm not sure how I would cope. Trust your instincts! !!!!!! U will be fine and good luck

Tans1987 Mon 30-May-16 19:07:11

I really appreciate these comments ladies, and I agree I need to be in the best mindset I can during this pregnancy and after when she's born. It's lovely to hear how wonderful your little one's are doing. Talking to you both has given me more positivity that I am doing the right thing for me and her xx

isobel79 Mon 30-May-16 19:44:23

Take care and all the best
The best thing about these forums is that you are not alone. Any other questions feel free to ask
xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now