Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Melanoma anxiety

(3 Posts)
loztredders Mon 23-May-16 16:57:11

I've had a form of health anxiety since I was diagnosed with cin3 cells of the cervix following my first smear and had to have treatment to have the pre cancerous cells removed.
I was so convinced then that they'd actually find it was cancer already but it turns out I got the all clear after treatment.

Last year I have birth in June and then noticed I had a mole that had changed on my ankle. It's had grown and developed two darker spots at the top and one at the bottom. Went to the GP who said it was just a normal mole but to watch it just in case.

My nan died end of last year suddenly of undiagnosed ovarian cancer. Every time I get back ache or bloating I think it could be ovarian cancer.

Fast forward to now. My mole worries are back full force - mole hasn't changed in size or appearance in 9 months since I saw gp first.
Went to see another who also said looks benign but referred me to dermatologist this Friday as I started crying and said I couldn't stop worrying about it.

I literally feel sick and panicky. So convinced I have melanoma :-(

Myhairisturninggrey Mon 23-May-16 20:44:18

It's probably nothing if you say it hasn't changed in 9 months and it sounds like the gp was not concerned but only referred you to the dermatologist to put your mind at rest as you were obviously so upset. Hang on till Friday and hopefully you will get some reassurance.

Health anxiety is awful. I know how you are feeling.

Monkeyinshoes Tue 24-May-16 14:57:34

I've got one on the back of my neck that's rather odd looking, I had it looked at by doc who referred to dermatologist and they all said it was fine.

Then, many years later, it changed during pregnancy and I went back to the GP. Referred to a dermatologist again who said it's still fine and then he saw a recent pregnancy in my notes and explained that's why it changed. Pregnancy stimulates the body's production of melanin (the skin pigment that's in moles) and so can make moles darker and larger.

So it's probably fine but you're right to get it checked, I know that panicky feeling and getting an expert to look at it will help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now