Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

doubling setraline dose

(8 Posts)
marmiteloversunite Sun 22-May-16 12:22:57

Hi all. I am on 50 mg of setraline per day. I have been taking this since February. It has definitely helped my depression but it has not relieved my anxiety a great deal. If I ask the GP to up my dose to 100mg per day will I have to endure all of the side effects again? Will I be asleep all day? Any personal experience of this would be helpful. The anxiety really affects my every day life. TIA

3catsandcounting Sun 22-May-16 12:34:25

Hi, I upped my Sertraline from 50mg to 100mg last year, and felt no side-effects at all, apart from feeling a lot better!

VioletSunshine Sun 22-May-16 12:42:00

Went from 50 to 150 over the course of a year and a half, no noticeable side-effects from the increase, though I do feel like crap if I miss a few days. Have got anxiety too, and don't feel the sertraline touches it (nothing I've been prescribed does that I've found yet). If the current dosage works for you wrt depression, are there maybe other non-medicated options available for handling your anxiety?

marmiteloversunite Sun 22-May-16 16:02:50

Thanks for advice. I will try and up the dose. I felt so awful initially that I can't really face that again. I will make an appointment with GP.

StuntNun Sun 22-May-16 16:08:06

Yeah I felt a bit rubbish when my dose was increased BUT it ended up with me feeling a lot happier and more stable so it was worth it. I was told that 50mg is a very low dose and most people would need to go up to at least 100mg.

Greymalkin Sun 22-May-16 16:16:29

My GP said that to 50mg is a starter dose and gets you slowly used to any side effects (nausea etc) and that it is quite usual for people to up their dose to 100mg or more (up to 200mg, which I believe is the maximum).

I found upping to 100mg was the right thing, no extra side effects and I've been feeling a lot more on an even keel, including feeling less agitated.

Hope all goes well for you OP

marmiteloversunite Sun 22-May-16 16:38:51

Thanks very much. That really gives me hope. Just feel that there is not much point in taking them if they are not really affecting the anxiety. Might as well up the dose.

mumsywoo78 Thu 26-May-16 22:52:22

Just started on sertraline 50mg today for anxiety. Was quite hopeful that it'd relieve my anxiety not so sure now after reading other peoples experience of it. Will still give it a go though I suppose the meds work differently for different people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now