Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Men's mental health

(4 Posts)
sergeantmajor Sun 22-May-16 08:38:32

I have a depressed male friend who thinks that depression and anxiety is a woman's problem and thus feels even more shit about himself. Obviously this is partly the depression itself talking but if anyone know of any good resources for men's mental health in particular, I would be very grateful.

sergeantmajor Sun 29-May-16 07:49:15

Anyone....?

AnxiousMunchkin Mon 30-May-16 00:47:14

Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) are an organisation specifically supporting men with mental health problems with aims to reduce male suicide.

If you're in Staffordshire they have the UK's first male mental health centre

Prof Green recently did a really good doco on the BBC recently about male depression/suicide, I don't know if you'll be able to find it on YouTube maybe.

Samaritans and Mind both make efforts to 'appeal' to men if that's the right word- using men's pictures on adverts/web pages, specific research and campaigns etc.

You can ask Samaritans to call your friend, they will try to make contact, they don't have to disclose who expressed concern.

sergeantmajor Wed 01-Jun-16 13:44:55

Thank you AnxiousMunchkin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now