Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Coming off citalopram - update

(2 Posts)
Puffinity Mon 16-May-16 21:50:43

A while ago I posted asking for advice coming off citalopram. I got some really helpful ideas (Mingzilla IIRC) and reduced my dosage from 10mg to 7.5mg. It has been hell, to put it mildly. I had at least half the withdrawal symptoms a quick Google search threw up. Most of them had disappeared after 7-10 days, but my OCD/ anxiety is back with a fucking vengeance! It is so bad I can't cope and it is ruining what should be a nice time in my life (getting married next month). I get paralysed with fear and have an 'attack' out of the blue on a daily basis - extreme fear, a feeling that everything is going to hell in a handbasket, it's my fault and the feeling that any other feeling/ problem would be preferable to this (I hasten to add I would never physically harm myself in any way though). Every attack seems to add to the feeling that everything is going to go wrong, so it just get worse and worse. After a particularly bad episode today I have decided to go back to 10 mg and try again when my life is a little calmer whenever the fuck that may be. I am seeing the (utterly useless in this regard) GP next week and am going to ask to be put on prozac instead, as that has a longer half-life and should therefore be easier to come off theoretically. I am also going to insist on a referral to a psychiatrist or other mental health care practitioner, as I don't deserve to feel like this and can't expect my nearest and dearest to cope with it either. As my dad said. someone with heart problems gets to see a cardiologist, not just the GP, and this is a chronic problem for me in the same way a heart condition can be.

Not sure why I'm posting, I guess I just wanted to share and say thanks for all the help I got when I asked for advice. I am desperately trying not to see this as a personal weakness or failure, and trying to see it as something that is separate from who I am as a person, but feeling this way is killing my self-confidence sad

AliceScarlett Sat 21-May-16 11:15:50

Why are you trying to come off meds? Unfortunately psychiatrists are v difficult to access on the NHS (in some areas), you might have to ask to see a different gp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now