Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Speaking to doctor re anxiety/depression

(11 Posts)
Bella912 Sun 15-May-16 16:32:17

I have made the call and have an appointment with a doctor tomorrow. I am struggling badly with what I believe to be depression/anxiety. It has went on for a long time now but the last few months have got gradually worse to the point I know I am no longer coping day to day.

What do I say to the doctor in the 5 minutes I am allocated? I am so anxious about going but I know I have to get some help. Any tips?

PurpleDaisies Sun 15-May-16 16:36:33

Jusf be open and honest about what you're going through at the moment. Don't downplay how you're feeling, and don't worry about trying to go quickly-the doctor can overrun if it needs more time.

You could make a list of the main symptoms you're getting, or the times when your anxiety affects you most to act as a prompt if you need it. The GP will be on your side and there to help you. Really hope the appointment is helpful.

SwearyGodmother Sun 15-May-16 16:38:48

Well done for making the appointment - that's a big step that you should feel very proud about.

When I go in to talk about my MH with the GP I find it's much easier to have a list of things with me. So I take some examples of what is overwhelming for me and what my symptoms are otherwise I get flustered, pretend everything is ok and then run away in a panic.

Start by saying you're not coping and then work through your list. The GP tends to be grateful for the notes ime.

Orchidflower1 Sun 15-May-16 19:13:35

I agree with all the other suggestions - also is there anyone you would feel comfortable taking with you- a friend or family member. When I've been to doc - both about my MH and other issues it has helped for someone else to remember what the doc said. They may even ask questions if you're happy for them. Just a thought. Well done for making the app- let us know how you get on. smile

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sun 15-May-16 22:30:19

Orchid makes a very good point..
Can you find someone?
If not, I suggest you write down a list of your feelings and a description of your apetite, drinking, sleeping, energy levels.

Good luck tomorrow.

Bella912 Sun 15-May-16 23:07:16

Thank you all so much. No there is nobody to come with me. One of the side effects of this depression or anxiety whatever the hell it is means I keep most people at arms length. I have managed to hide things well but it's got harder and harder to hide. I am just so tired and scared. I don't want to be me anymore. I feel so lonely but have nobody to tell how I feel. I'm just worried about what I say and how I explain it to a doctor.

On the face of it I have everything and am so lucky. So why do I feel like I wish I was anyone but me. I despise myself

Orchidflower1 Mon 16-May-16 19:29:56

Hey bella how did you get on at the doc today? WAs wondering? X

Bella912 Tue 17-May-16 07:55:40

Hi, thanks so much for thinking of me. So it went ok but not how I thought it would.

I lead the conversation with a ongoing health complaint which leaves me in pain and waking up a lot during the night. When I said I was feeling very low and struggling to cope she said she felt it was probably down to sheer tiredness. I have a lot of stresses in my life and in honesty where I know I am exhausted due to lack of sleep I know the external pressures are what's causing this.

Anyway she has put me on amitriptyline 30mg to help with sleeping and pain and referred me for help with my back. She also said it should help with the low mood and to try these for a month and see if I feel any better if not we will look at things again.

I just know I was feeling like this long before the issue with my back but have to say i did sleep well for the first time in a long time last night. Groggy as hell today though.

I will keep you posted and again thank you

Orchidflower1 Wed 18-May-16 13:15:25

Hey bellahow are you today. Gave myself a little pat on the back as I went to doc on my own today- previously been WAY too anxious to go on own. smile

Bella912 Wed 18-May-16 17:12:27

Well done you!! How did it go? I know I was shaking and sweating before I went in.
I'm doing ok but have been working so have been kept busy. Just glad I have started the ball rolling so see what the next few weeks brings.
Hope you are ok

Orchidflower1 Wed 18-May-16 20:13:08

Thanks for asking - went better than I thought- took a carrier bag in my handbag as I felt sick with nerves but I didn't need it. Doc was impressed I was on my own. MH issues can be a sod!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now