Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Am I just being stupid or is this anxiety?

(8 Posts)
Wilberforce2 Fri 13-May-16 23:15:08

I have always been what family/friends would jokingly call a hypochondriac but ever since having my second child two years ago I've developed a real obsession/fear that I am going to get Cancer and die. It's getting steadily worse to the point where I have cried at least twice everyday for the last 4 weeks. I play out scenes in my head where the doctor tells me I have Cancer and then I have to tell the kids (7 & 2) constantly and then I end up in floods of tears and on the verge of a panic attack because I can't breath.

Nothing is enjoyable anymore because I'm thinking about how I won't get to do whatever I'm doing anymore when I'm dead. Tonight for example dh is out so me and ds had a film night and now he is sleeping in my bed as a treat, I've been uncontrollably sobbing for the last hour because he was all cuddled up to me and I just keep thinking that if I die he won't be able to do this anymore. DH is useless with stuff like this and won't entertain it at all, I decided to try and start a discussion about it yesterday by emailing him a link to info about health anxiety and he emailed back within minutes jokingly saying "I might just have you sectioned" so I sent one back saying "it's not funny I think there is something wrong with me, I can't keep worrying like this" and he basically replied saying I'm just being silly and to stop thinking about illness all of the time.

Am I just being silly? There are people out there actually dying and I'm here worrying about it happening to me.

I feel sick constantly with worry and I spend ages checking myself for signs of skin cancer and googling symptoms of breast/ovarian/cervical and bowel cancer, it's just constant.

Is there anything I can do for this? I don't see how I can switch off the worry and stress. I had PND after my second baby and was in Citalopram but this isn't depression it genuine fear,

Thank you for reading so sorry it's long x

Naughty1205 Fri 13-May-16 23:27:24

Definitely anxiety. Been there, still there. It's awful. Can you go to gp? You can't live like that.

Wilberforce2 Sat 14-May-16 13:08:24

Thank you for replying, it's quite nice to hear someone tell me that I'm not just being stupid. I know I should go to the doctors but my GP isn't that amazing and when I had PND he gave me pills and shoved me out the door telling me to call the health visitor. I'm just a bit embarrassed I guess.. I do know I can't go on like this day to day as its sending me crazy.

Orchidflower1 Sat 14-May-16 17:25:57

Could you see a councilor op- I've just started seeing someone and its beginning to help. Doc has given me meds but I'm a bit reluctant to take them as I was made so Unwell when I tried fluoxetine before. Been given escitolpram this time. smile

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sun 15-May-16 22:36:19

It is all too easy to get yourself into a negative mindset where you convince yourself of something that is actually wrong.... and verifiably wrong.. So I don't think you are being stupid.. And no, you can't just snap out of it.

I can't offer a solution except that when I convince myself of something tarrible.... I am always wrong..

Wolfiefan Sun 15-May-16 22:37:32

Try a different GP? This is anxiety and you need help. flowers

AliceScarlett Sat 21-May-16 12:04:20

Self help? Click on the health anxiety booklet:

www.ntw.nhs.uk/pic/selfhelp/

FranTan Sat 21-May-16 12:17:09

Been there, OP. It's anxiety and the NHS prescribes CBT. I had an intensive course and while it didn't cure it, it became less debilitating. I also had it after DC2 was born and became fixated on having oral cancer. Utter nightmare - constant checking, googling and seeking reassurance; these are the behaviours you need to break. CBT will help you do this and you may be able to self-refer. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now