Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram to Sertraline?

(3 Posts)
cjt110 Fri 13-May-16 09:04:56

Hi all,

I am on 30mg of citalopram and find that after being on them for quite some time (I was on them from 2010-2013 then back on them from Jan 2015 until now) have found their effects lessening and the Dr has prescribed 50mg of Sertraline. He has advised I slowly reduce my dose of citalopram over say the next week from 30, to 20 to 10 then go onto the sertraline. Has anyone had experience of changing over from these meds? Have you weaned off cit or just gone straight on sert? The chemist said to wean otherwise I'll get a bad withdrawal? The GP also said about start on 50mg, increase to 100mg and so on but didnt say my final dose. My tablets say take 1 x 50mg a day?

Thanks all.

cjt110 Fri 13-May-16 09:28:33

bump

BananaMan79 Sat 14-May-16 19:59:34

Different GP's will do it in slightly different ways but whenever I've switched tablets the advice has always been ween off the current med by reducing dosage and then start the new medication at the lowest dose.

I would normally expect to be on the lowest dosage of the new medication for a very minimum of two weeks before increasing, but more like at least a month.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now