Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Exhausted after counselling sessions - normal?

(8 Posts)
Hueandcry Tue 03-May-16 20:16:18

Today I had my fifth counselling session and I am finding it completely draining & exhausting. Came home & fell asleep for 2 hours. It's not a problem as I arrange the sessions for my day off but I just wondered if it's normal? I'm still drained now even after such a long nap sad

spanky2 Tue 03-May-16 20:17:38

Yes. If you have anxiety it is usual for you to wake up exhausted after a night sleep.

Orchidflower1 Wed 04-May-16 11:14:22

When I went to my first session last week I was shattered - think it's nervous exhaustion .

Hueandcry Wed 04-May-16 18:57:09

I expected to feel lighter, unburdened I suppose, not shattered but I guess it's all part of the process. Still tired & drained today

Orchidflower1 Thu 05-May-16 08:05:30

I suppose it depends upon why you're going to the counciilling. I'm exhausted just getting there in the first place. Keep going smile

Baconyum Thu 05-May-16 08:06:37

Completely normal, it's work, working on your mental health. Rest when you need to.

314PrettySweetMamaJammer Thu 05-May-16 08:07:21

Oh boy yes it's normal. I once came out of a psychotherapy session and clutched on to a nearby railing for support.

Hueandcry feeling light and less burdened came for me but later, after I'd been through something and 'tested' again and this time, I reacted differently.

peppatax Thu 05-May-16 20:06:05

Totally normal. I wish I'd cleared my diary after too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now