Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Any mums got a personality disorder?

(5 Posts)
Monkeysrfunky Tue 03-May-16 08:22:19

Basically I've struggled with my mental health for as long as I can remember, had an inpatient stay, find it really hard to deal with my emotions, very impulsive, struggle with relationships of all kinds. Whenever I go to a doctor they just prescribe anti Ds but if I actually speak to a mental health professional they say I don't have depression, which I generally agree with but something just isn't right. Or if this is normal, then there's no point in living. I really want to get a diagnosis and I reckon personality disorder is on the right track. I thought I might be bipolar for a while but to be honest I don't ever feel 'high' or happy for long enough so I know it's not that. Has anybody else had a similar diagnosis and how did you go about it? I've spoken to counselling services but they don't diagnose, just give treatment but I think - how can you treat it without knowing what it is? Anyway, I think hearing about some similar experiences would be great

peppatax Thu 05-May-16 20:13:16

Hi there, I probably fall into this category. Have had manic or depressive episodes triggered by stress or trauma for almost 20 years since I was in my teens. Latest episode ended up being hospitalised and misdiagnosed as low mood/depression and stress induced anxiety attacks. Was given ADs and showed little improvement, counselling helped but now falling off the wagon and stopped taking ADs after the mental health assessment said I wasn't depressed despite long history of suicidal thoughts and episodes of self harming. So even medical professionals couldn't agree so lost faith in the system really. I still struggle and don't have much support in finding my coping mechanisms but I'm still here smile Personality disorder could fit I suppose but hard to say whether that is the cause of my problems or the effect of them. Sorry that probably doesn't help!

willowcatkin111 Sat 14-May-16 13:21:46

It's a minefield. I got a diagnosis after a month in hospital during which I had a full psychological assessment. Still taken over a year for things to even begin to settle down and people see me and not the 'label' but now I am getting lots of help when i need it thankfully. I wouldn't recommend a hospital stay to get a diagnosis but maybe you could ask for a full assessment? You need a full one tho as there may be comorbid issues which you need to be aware of. I have MDD as well as borderline but they managed to miss that and took me off all ads - it was only when someone else saw that I was also depressed that I got them back and they are a life saver for me.

AliceScarlett Sat 21-May-16 12:06:01

I used to fit the criteria for bpd, I'll always have traits. Also TTC, so hopefully soon I'll be a mum.

Can you access any sort of recovery college?

AliceScarlett Sat 21-May-16 12:07:26

Forgot to say, you would need a psychiatrist to diagnose. You might not have a PD smile But would be good if you could get some proper help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now