Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

taking more antidepressants

(10 Posts)
mypip Tue 26-Apr-16 14:20:04

does anybody take two ADs together and wouldn't mind telling me about it? I'm on sertraline with mitirzapine, after 2 years venlafaxine with lamotrigine via a different consultant; so far not very keen but told it's only just started, surely the 225 mg venlafax. was enough to be taking I thought, aswell as the 2 other meds I've not mentioned. I feel very sedated and dizzy/ drunk, and more not with it!

mypip Wed 27-Apr-16 11:04:33

please give me some advice if you may about taking 2 antidepressants, I wasn't keen but was asked to give it a go as prescribed. has anyone tried this and care to tell me about it, I've just started. Thankyou very much.

mypip Wed 27-Apr-16 17:03:06

i see my consultant next week, so I can ask about them then, maybe readers haven't been prescribed 2 ADs that they can relate to. I thought 225 mg venlafax with lamotrigine was enough to take really. thankyou.

AuntyElle Wed 27-Apr-16 17:06:04

So are you currently taking all four of the drugs you mention?

mypip Wed 27-Apr-16 19:06:14

yes AuntyElle, the others being quetiapine and pregabalin,, been so for 2 years.

TheGhostOfBarryFairbrother Wed 27-Apr-16 20:55:25

I took two antidepressants together for about eight years, sertraline and clomipramine.

I'm currently taking mirtazapine amongst others (including quetiapine) and my psych has suggested adding another AD if the mood stabilizer I'm on doesn't prevent the depression from returning.

mypip Wed 27-Apr-16 22:26:37

TGOBF: do you find the AD with mood stabiliser better than the 2 ADs you had previously for the 8 years- difficult to say perhaps and maybe too private to relate here. i think I would benefit with a mood stabiliser. good wishes

dangermouseisace Thu 28-Apr-16 08:28:19

I'm on mirtazapine and venlafaxine and have been on it since winter. The consultants/MH people that I've seen say it is thought of as one of the best combinations for depression. I had been on mirtazapine and sertraline for a while whilst changing over drugs.

I find my combination is fine I don't really get side effects now except when I accidentally take the mirtazapine twice in an evening…

TheGhostOfBarryFairbrother Thu 28-Apr-16 08:29:08

My diagnosis changed completely. I have had OCD since I was a teenager (what I took the two ADs for) but two years ago developed a different illness.

mypip Thu 28-Apr-16 13:19:17

Thankyou both

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now