Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can depression be low grade?

(3 Posts)
80schild Mon 25-Apr-16 23:47:55

I was brought up in a household where depression was not a word we were allowed to use, my mother's solution being the best treatment was to get on and do things. On top of this, I have had a few ups and downs in life but nothing major.

However, looking back on my life, there are clearly defined times when I was really unhappy for long periods. When I was 19 I had a brief spell of having an eating disorder and was so unhappy I would fantasise about hurting myself; when I was in my mid 20s I went through a similar phase after a bad break - up; and again when my son started nursery I remember shutting the kitchen door and lying down on the kitchen floor crying because I felt so miserable. I never went to my GP as I always blamed it on an external source and just pulled myself together and eventually it lifted.

For the past 3 years things have been really good but in ghe past couple of months my mood has been slipping and this time there is no reason for it. I have a really big exam coming up soon (it is not stressful as it is something I have always wanted to do career wise) and I can't afford to be on the wrong side of miserable. At the moment I am still able to function but I know my behaviour is changing and I constantly want to just be left alone which I think is making it even worse. However, I haven't had thoughts if hurting myself like in the past.

What I really want to know is, is this how depression feels? Is it likely it will get worse if I don't get help? I am hoping it will go away by itself at m.

A4Document Tue 26-Apr-16 10:34:50

Yes, I think it could be depression. If you visit the GP she/he can also check whether or not there could be a physical reason for how you're feeling. If the GP diagnoses depression, they may suggest options such as medication or CBT.

flowers

80schild Sat 30-Apr-16 00:51:10

I think I may need to be on something. It is bad and affecting my life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now