Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

From citalopram to sertraline

(7 Posts)
EskiVodkaCranberry Mon 25-Apr-16 19:44:58

I was on 40mg of citalopram which reduced over a month and just started sertraline on Friday. I feel awful! I did when I started citalopram but in a different way, now I feel like I've got a funny kind of flu, I'm dizzy and throwing up. I know it can take a long time to 'properly' work but is there hope of feeling any better anytime soon? I called in sick today and work were awful which doesn't help. Eek sad

chillycurtains Mon 25-Apr-16 19:52:05

I've heard that the first two weeks are the worst then it improves. I tried Sertraline for two days and couldn't cope with it so stopped. Same symptoms as you listed only severe upset stomach and wind that made a room toxic. It was awful and I couldn't have time off work so couldn't continue.

EskiVodkaCranberry Mon 25-Apr-16 20:11:56

Thanks for your reply, I'm contemplating stopping but I know citalopram helped eventually so in torn

lucy101101 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:15:47

Hi there, Citalopram didn't work for me at all (and gave me side effects)... but Sertraline has been brilliant, no side effects, no problems coming off either. I think you might need to try some different ones as everyone seems to have different reactions to them etc. I would go back to your GP asap and discuss other options if you don't feel better in a day or two. You could have some other bug which unhelpfully has coincided with the taking the Sertraline....

EskiVodkaCranberry Mon 25-Apr-16 21:26:59

Thank you here's hoping! Will give it two more days.

Jenda Mon 25-Apr-16 21:29:20

I haven't had citlopram but have been on sertraline for six months and it's fine..first two weeks were unpleasant, kind of a combination of feeling drunk and hungover! They did lessen after a few days which made it bearable and I clung to the hope they would only last two weeks which they did

Jenda Mon 25-Apr-16 21:29:42

Hope you feel better soon flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now