Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Being referred to Complex Care Team - can anyone enlighten me as to what this is??

(6 Posts)
Oldisthenewblack Fri 22-Apr-16 22:51:52

A while back, I requested a referral for psychotherapy. This was on the back of CAT therapy, at the end of which the therapist told me I could request such a referral with my GP if I felt the need. Today I spoke to my GP who told me that the place she referred me to has refused me psychotherapy, something to do with me not being suitable, and that I should be referred to the local Complex Care Team. What IS a Complex Care Team?? Even the GP wasn't sure, though she did apologise for this. What can I expect from such a referral??

Any insight gratefully received!

GreenGoth89 Fri 22-Apr-16 23:03:18

It's probably just the step beyond the initial access to psychotherapy. Anyone who has more than one diagnosis or a treatment resistant condition might get referred but it might be worth asking because so many different names are used for the same thing!

Oldisthenewblack Sat 23-Apr-16 12:55:28

Thanks, GreenGoth - I'll wait for the letter from the team and take it from there. I guess I was just a bit taken aback by the Complex Care title: I didn't think I was that complex at all...grin

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Sat 23-Apr-16 18:05:23

Complex care is short for Complex Care and Treatment Team or CCTT. It's part of secondary psych services. It's what some trusts now call the CMHT - community mental health team - which is a much better descriptor IMO.

You'll have been referred to the CCTT as they have psychologists and other professionals in the team who can work with you to decide what support is suitable for you if psychotherapy isn't.

Oldisthenewblack Sat 23-Apr-16 19:58:22

Thanks, KeemaNaan, I wonder why I haven't been referred to the CMHT before. I've had CBT and CAT, plus counselling...oh well, let's just wait and see.

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Sat 23-Apr-16 23:40:38

I've had therapies arranged through the GP and then more specific things arranged through the CCTT. It's so varied from county to county, who knows!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now