Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

6 Years of Postnatal Depression

(3 Posts)
MiaandJosh Thu 21-Apr-16 14:25:42

6 years ago my DD was born and for 20 months my life was awful. I shouted at her, said horrible things to her, put her into her cot to rough, I was horrible to my DH. He has put up with so much crap. My DS was born and I instantly realised that my feelings for him made it quite clear that I had an emotional problem with DD. God help me, she is amazing. Clever, funny, beautiful and I am ruining my chances of having a healthy relationship with her. I have been to the GP, told that I am tired (due to DD not sleeping) and that I will be ok. Was told that by two GPs that I am not depressed and in their opinion I will be fine.
Why, oh why do I shout and scream at my DD, DS and DH so much. One moment I am fine and at the other, at the most stupid of things, I am flying about in a rage, throwing clothes and stuff ( even the laundry basket once) and saying horrible and hurtful things. I hate myself so much. I look in the mirror and I see a fat, wrinkle lined face looking back at me. I sound like my mother and sister.
All I want is to be able to keep calm and enjoy my kids. I work in two jobs, I have a nice house but needs work done to it. I drive a nice car. I don't take drugs or drink too much and I don't smoke. I don't have an abusive partner and although I have been molested as a child (nobody knows this ladies & gentlemen) I think that this has nothing to do with my crappy behaviour.
I can not have this conversation or relate what I am writing to anybody, I simply can not say what I need to say. I end up pretending its ok and agreeing with any stuff they say to me.
Am I crazy? Bipolar? Depressed? .......... do I walk out, give up, would that make my children's life better or worse? I don't want to hurt anybody too much so I have decided that taking my life is not the solution. Thinking about interning myself into a mental hospital but maybe they will turn me away too and tell me I am ok. Am I ok?
I don't know just don't want to hurt anybody anymore........

dangermouseisace Thu 21-Apr-16 19:02:43

Hi miaandjosh obviously I'm not a medical professional so unable to comment on whether you have a MH problem. But at the very least it sounds like you are struggling. Which isn't really surprising when you read that you have 2 young kids, work 2 jobs and that you are living in either potentially unsuitable accommodation/a building site (I bought a house that 'needed work done' so can only really think of my experiences of it- a whole load of financial and practical stress). Your life does sound quite stressful.

Would you be able to afford counselling privately? As there is obviously something/things going on and you are unhappy about your behaviour.

Bellyrub1980 Fri 22-Apr-16 06:10:26

Could you go to the doctor with your husbabd who could help to explain?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now