Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

ESA refusal

(19 Posts)
ElectronicDischarge Wed 20-Apr-16 19:48:30

I recently attended an interview and was awarded 0 points.
I feel I have to get up with my child,change her nappy,etc,or else there would be abuse allegations.
I have serious MH issues but because I can raise my arms and talk to cashiers, I've been scored nothing. I second guess myself constantly and always take meds. And am not on the correct dose,due to bf,which is showing itself in my behaviour. Except she acts as my protective factor.

At my interview, a beaten up crack head took up most of the seats whilst he slept.
I wasn't entitled to mat pay as I gave up work two weeks too early (due to harassment by a doctor)and went to uni to do a medical degree.
Whilst I agree I'm not bad enough for ESA,jsa told me not to claim because my daughter is ebf and under a year old .
I'm stuck and scared. Any advice?

Marchate Wed 20-Apr-16 20:57:39

You must appeal the decision. It's sad that it's so difficult to get financial support when you really have enough to cope with

Do you have information about the appeal process?

Oswin Wed 20-Apr-16 20:59:51

Ask for a mandatory reconsideration asap.
Do you have a partner? If not claim income support asap.
Are you receiving tax credits?

ElectronicDischarge Thu 21-Apr-16 10:21:46

I'm not sure a reconsideration will get me anywhere. To suddenly gain 15 points is a long shot.

I have a partner, so we get a small amount in tax credits and obviously child benefit.

Marchate Thu 21-Apr-16 10:43:36

Always appeal the decision. A high percentage of claimants win at appeal

NanaNina Thu 21-Apr-16 14:14:48

You are entitled to claim Income Support because you have a child under 5. Why didn't someone tell you thisFFS!

elementofsurprise Thu 21-Apr-16 17:51:06

To suddenly gain 15 points is a long shot.
Not at all - the assessment system doesn't work like that. It should, but it doesn't... A lot of people win on appeal.
I went from 0 points to 45 at my appeal. They said it was because I'd provided evidence from health professionals by then. That was a lie - I'd provided the evidence all along, they just hadn't taken it into account before. Subsequent reassessments have been easier.

Lucsy Thu 21-Apr-16 17:52:35

Yes. Income support.
Which is the same rate as wrag group ESA now I think, or will be soon

dangermouseisace Thu 21-Apr-16 22:14:39

oh electronicdischarge definitely appeal flowers

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Fri 22-Apr-16 20:29:12

I went to a local disability rights support group when I applied for esa and they helped me through the process. They said it's not unusual for people to be refused the first time, but get it on appeal. Can you look up to see if there is anyone in your area who could help you?

In the mean time, you may be entitled to income support, depending on what your household income is.

ElectronicDischarge Sat 23-Apr-16 22:02:28

Thank you everyone.

I'm so in experienced in this and so appreciate the help.

The denial,along with family issues has caused such a major down I contacted Crisis support and I'm back under the cpn.

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Sat 23-Apr-16 23:45:43

I'm sorry to hear it's contributed to you being unwell. I've seen it happen to so many people. Hopefully your CPN can put you in touch with a local service who could help you draft an appeal and support you through it.

It's such a shitty thing to put people with mental health problems through when the process itself can make people ill. I hope you're feeling a bit better soon.

AnotherEmma Sat 23-Apr-16 23:49:39

I suggest that you contact CAB for advice about appealing the ESA decision and/or applying for Income Support. They should also be able to advise on other benefits and help you may be entitled to.

Does your partner work? Do you get child tax credits, working tax credits, or both?

AndNowItsSeven Sun 24-Apr-16 00:01:58

The op can't claim income support because her partner is employed. She can claim contribution based benefits only.

AnotherEmma Sun 24-Apr-16 00:17:40

AndNow I can't see anything on this thread to say whether the OP's partner works or not. Are you going by info the OP has shared on a previous thread?

Another thing, OP. If you were not entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay, you would still have been entitled to Maternity Allowance.
www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/children-and-young-people/benefits-for-families-and-children/#h-benefits-for-maternity

AndNowItsSeven Sun 24-Apr-16 00:37:15

No I thought op said he worked but re read. Either way unless her do could claim income support in his own right eg a carer she can't claim income support even if he isn't working.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 24-Apr-16 00:37:23

Dp

AnotherEmma Sun 24-Apr-16 00:47:20

If her partner is not working he might be able to claim Income Support on the grounds that he is looking after a temporarily ill partner. That's on the list of criteria, but I'm not sure what's required to prove it. In any case, I do think it would be useful for the OP to talk to CAB for tailored advice based on their specific circumstances. They are usually very good when it comes to benefit checks, applications and appeals.

ElectronicDischarge Mon 25-Apr-16 09:08:51

I have a meeting with my cpn this week despite being previously discharged. And a doctor's appt too. Hoping this will will help strengthen my case.

And yep,my partner works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now