Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram and caffeine.... Or... How long before citalopram side effects stop?

(11 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Tue 19-Apr-16 07:00:51

I have PND. Was taking sertraline for a year, but it didn't work for me so now on citalopram.

10mg and 20mg were fine, no side effects at all. Felt a lot better but anxiety still a problem. Doctor increased my dose to 40mg last week and I'm feeling the side effects now!

- Nausea +++++

- Anxiety has increased (nausea and anxiety kind of go hand in hand for me, it's hard to know which is causing which iyswim)

- Headaches

I'm considering cutting out caffeine completely. It never gave me a problem before but I'm wondering whether, at this higher dose, caffeine could be having more of an effect?

I know that soon the citalopram will start working. On 10mg and 20mg they both cleared my head and helped a great deal, after about 2-3 weeks. Is it a case that the higher the dose, the longer it takes to kick in and work???

Bellyrub1980 Tue 19-Apr-16 07:03:30

Also slightly concerned that the nausea is confined to the mornings.... But the chances of me being pregnant are minimal. Only had sex once in the last 10 weeks since I had the coil fitted as have been bleeding ever since!

Also taking northisterone

Trooperslane Tue 19-Apr-16 07:26:54

I avoid caffeine 100% since taking citalopram.

It sent my anxiety into over drive.

bluejasmin Tue 19-Apr-16 07:27:15

I would cut down on caffeine just to see if it makes a difference , I recently experienced the same so read up on forums and it seems most suffer the same but only for a week .
If you feel that you still feel the same after a week I'd go speak to your doctor again .

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Tue 19-Apr-16 12:03:45

I'd definitely knock the caffeine on the head for a bit. Also, maybe moving from 20mg to 40mg was a but much. Could you go to 30mg instead and build up the dose more slowly to reduce the side effects?

Bellyrub1980 Tue 19-Apr-16 12:30:28

I did think it was a bit of a jump.

I've completely avoided my usual 3 coffees this morning, and whilst the nerves are still there, I do feel a bit better today.

The night sweats have started though..... confused but realise that's just part and parcel of all AD's, and hopefully a sign that it's getting into my system.

Bellyrub1980 Wed 20-Apr-16 15:06:25

Starting to feel calmer today. I've been taking them for 12 days. Anxiety still triggering but isn't getting any momentum. Just wondering how long an increased dose started to kick in for others?

I'm about 3stone overweight already (all gained after 6 months post-natal when I started taking AD's). But this dose of citalopram is making me incredibly hungry... But all I fancy is pastry and cakes. I'm a member of slimming world but not sticking to it!!

Any tips for weight loss?

flingingmelon Wed 20-Apr-16 15:11:06

I ballooned on citalopram too. To get it under control I cut out as much carbs and dairy as I could. I didn't get rid of them completely, just tried to swap for protein and fruit and veg as much as I could. It really worked, even though I'm a proper sugar fiend.

My doctor did insist that you put on weight only because you relax and your metabolism slows down. But I'm not entirely sold on that. He suggested more exercise.

Bellyrub1980 Wed 20-Apr-16 15:11:34

(Anything specific to taking AD's I mean...)

Bellyrub1980 Wed 20-Apr-16 15:23:05

Sorry posted that before I read your reply and now it looks like a snappy remark!

Bellyrub1980 Wed 20-Apr-16 15:27:27

Sugar!! I never used to have a sweet tooth but OMG, I'm obsessed at the moment.

Ok will try with the protein. Sounds like the SP plan on slimming world actually.

Have felt a bit zoned out since the higher dose, but definitely need to get back into exercise. Pre baby I was spinning 5 days a week. But that's another part of me that has changed. So many things have.

I feel constantly hungry. It's weird and nothing really satisfies it unless I'm constantly eating. I could polish off an entire bakery!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now