Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can't Stop Worrying/Obsessing

(3 Posts)
maggiethemagpie Mon 18-Apr-16 22:47:42

Sometimes I will get a worry in my head and it won't go away, it's like an itch the more I scratch it the more it itches.
I had a bad time at work last week as I had a review which said some negative things about how I'd interacted with others.
I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. It's turned into a bit of an obsession, not just the original worry but it's like my head has become obsessed with my job, how to do my job better, how my job should optimally be done, how the company could be more strategic, what the purpose of my department is etc. Not always unpleasant thoughts - just obsessive ones.

I want to stop thinking about it but can't. I have literally had no time in my head for anything else, not my husband, my kids, I get in the car and drive off the wrong way as I'm thinking so hard about all of this.
How do I stop the thoughts? I want them to go away now so I can get on with my life, I'm absolutely exhausted but it's like an addiction, I can't switch my mind off. It's like I'm trying to figure it all out in my head but just tie myself up in knots.

I've not been like this before, I've worried about things for sure but not quite so ... incessantly.

What's going on?

Marchate Mon 18-Apr-16 23:40:37

It will stop. Even if it feels like it's going on for ever. Think of it like a song that gets stuck in your head. Annoying but temporary

However you say you are bothered by these worries from time to time. Maybe you need a method of relaxing and clearing your mind?

maggiethemagpie Tue 19-Apr-16 06:22:00

Thank you - feels like it will never end. I'm not sleeping well because of it. For some reason I am unable to park these issues and move on to think of other things. I think I need to learn mindfulness, to control these whirring thoughts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now