Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

sertraline =automatic longer stay in hospital post delivery?

(7 Posts)
sparksthefirst Sun 10-Apr-16 23:20:06

Hi, I'm on 50mg sertraline and due my baby in august. At last appointment with midwife I was told in may have to stay in a few extra days post delivery to monitor the baby. . is this always the case? I've not so far felt guilty about being on the meds..but now I do! Can't cope without though. Any experiences please? Thank you

WhoWants2Know Sun 10-Apr-16 23:25:32

I was on 75 mg of sertraline throughout pregnancy and I had to stay in for 24 hours post delivery just for monitoring. Everything was fine. Don't feel guilty, it's important for your baby to have a healthy mum.

Stylingwax Sun 10-Apr-16 23:31:46

I'm on 100mg and didn't need to stay in at all. My consultant just said they'd watch for the baby being jaundiced, underweight or not feeding. My health visitor was a little keener than usual in popping by after I was out but DD is totally fine - and I'm on twice as much as you smile
So really don't worry. If the meds are good then stay on them, don't feel guilty be at all. I BF both my babies but if Sertraline was an issue I would move them to formula without a concern rather than come off it.

aimeesj Sun 10-Apr-16 23:53:31

I was on the same as you and had to stay for 24 hour observation. I also felt guilty but soon realised it was just a precaution. That's a very low dose and it's far more important that you're in a good place. Think they just have to cover themselves. DD is now 2 months old and thriving. BF as well. Don't worry and enjoy the extra time in hospital with your feet up!

FifiRebel Fri 15-Apr-16 14:17:52

I have been put on 50mg during my pregnancy. Because of this I have been put under consultant care and my notes say baby will need 48 hours obs following delivery. Interesting to see how it differs across the country!

TychosNose Fri 15-Apr-16 14:25:44

I was on sertraline with both mine. Dc1 - discharged as soon as we liked, dc2 - kept in for observation for 48hrs.

There's actually no good evidence that on a low dose of sertraline your baby will need to be monitored (I've read the research. I'm a pharmacologist) some doctors and midwives just like to be over cautious.

There's no need for you to feel guilty at all.

And btw, I bf both mine whilst on sertraline too.

newnameoldstart Fri 15-Apr-16 17:50:11

I was told this on citalopram so I went in expecting to stay but was sent home after 24 hours anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now