Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety affecting vision - anyone else get this?

(10 Posts)
mutantninja Tue 05-Apr-16 13:02:40

I've been suffering from anxiety for about a year, didn't know what it was at first and thought there was a physical issue but having been fully checked out the conclusion was that it was anxiety. I get most of the 'usual' symptoms but I also find it affects my vision, which seems unusual. It's not blurred or lines or anything, it's like looking through a haze of smoke. Does anyone else get this? I've had my eyes tested and they are fine.

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Tue 05-Apr-16 14:36:53

Yes when I get very anxious it can have an effect on my vision. Sometimes it can be down to increased blood pressure when I get really stressed, other times it's the anxiety itself causing physical symptoms.

Have you had your blood pressure checked?

mutantninja Tue 05-Apr-16 15:00:26

Thanks for replying Keema. How does your vision change? I've read lots about blurry vision but not this weird haze. My blood pressure goes high when I am anxious but I've monitored it over long periods and it goes back down to healthy levels, so I don't have consistently high blood pressure.

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Tue 05-Apr-16 16:52:52

In all sorts of ways. Blurred, hazy, unreal and the rest. I know it's the anxiety as once I've got that under control it goes away.

It's such a PITA isn't it?

mutantninja Tue 05-Apr-16 17:56:05

It's such a horrible feeling and it can last for hours. Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it.

seagullchaser Tue 05-Apr-16 19:48:28

Yes, my vision also goes funny when I get really anxious. I start to feel dizzy and then everything goes a bit out of focus and sometimes sort of flashy. My hearing also goes a bit funny and for months I thought I was going deaf and got my hearing checked, then I realised it only happens when I'm anxious.
I agree, it really is a horrible feeling. I'm on beta blockers at the moment and they do help a little bit.

Susiesoap7 Tue 05-Apr-16 20:09:46

I have suffered this too, check out Claire weekes book. Self help for nerves, she says it the tension in the nerves of the eyes, they tense up like nerves in the body.

SheSparkles Tue 05-Apr-16 20:14:48

Absolutely, I've experienced it when I've had panic attacks, hazy vision and it's almost like I have Vaseline smeared round the outside of the lens of my glasses

MrsWooster Tue 05-Apr-16 20:21:11

Well I never! I thought my eyes were doomed going a bit funny, also my hearing. I never connected it to my fucking anxiety. Thanks!

mutantninja Wed 06-Apr-16 10:00:02

That's reassuring, and thanks for the book suggestion, Susie, I'll check that out. It's bizarre how much of a physical reaction it creates, I thought I was having a flipping stroke the first time I had what I now know was a strong anxiety attack. At least now I know what it is and can keep the feelings under control but they are still so vile to experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now