Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Trichotillomania help

(9 Posts)
Claraoswald36 Tue 29-Mar-16 19:26:17

Any others around?

PandaPop55 Tue 29-Mar-16 19:55:14

Hi, i have some experience of this. Are you ok?

CrazyDuchess Tue 29-Mar-16 19:56:36

Hi - I am a sufferer <waves>

You okay?

TheOldestCat Tue 29-Mar-16 19:57:03

Me too. Can I help? Will disappear for child bedtime, but will be back later.

Claraoswald36 Tue 29-Mar-16 20:16:38

Hi all thanks for replying. I am a mostly eyelash and some scalp hair puller. I'm just so tired of it. Had attacks earlier in the week and tonight. I fiddle with my scalp almost constantly. Eyes goes in phases. The slightest bit of anxiety triggers it.
I had hypnotherapy back along. It stopped it for about a year but it came back. ADs have done nothing whatsoever. Caffeine can make it worse but I don't think even had a coffee today.

CrazyDuchess Tue 29-Mar-16 20:33:02

Would you consider another hypnotherapy course??

TheOldestCat Tue 29-Mar-16 23:38:39

Very similar pattern here - I pull my hair, not normally from the root, usually breaking off the ends. Had some counselling for anxiety nearly two years ago and that helped a lot, but I'm back to doing it most of the time now.

So I am not much help, but I do understand.

Hypnotherapy sounds interesting - if it worked before, could you try it again, like CrazyDuchess suggests?

Claraoswald36 Wed 30-Mar-16 12:15:54

I think it treats the symptoms but not the cause. I know exactly when it started. Listening to my dad attacking my mum downstairswhen I was about 7. I can recall the first attack. I didn't know anyone else did it until I was 25. I'm so tired of having to wear make up all the time. Covering it is exhausting.

TheOldestCat Wed 30-Mar-16 23:54:36

Yes, you're right. Not sure of the cause of mine, but I remember doing counting (in threes using m fingers) over and over in the car when my parents rowed.

Have you been to the GP? I was really embarrassed so typed it all out and she referred me to counselling. It was very helpful, if not ultimately wholly successful. Worth a try?

Hope you're alright.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now