Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Has anyone managed to turn to self help for BPD?

(7 Posts)
CrazyandIknowit Sun 27-Mar-16 22:54:55

I have BPD but it turns out you can only access services during work hours and being mentally Ill and holding down a full time job isn't allowed confused

My last breakdown was 2012 and right now I'm off meds and discharged from CMHT.

I'm am very good at hiding things and work everything is fine. I put on my work head and I'm normal.

At home I'm depressed, anxious and compulsive. I'm scared I'm heading for a breakdown.

I had a telephone consultation with CMHT and when I said I work they said I could only have telephone counselling for the anxiety as all other services are before 5pm.

I cannot tell my employer as I know they wouldn't understand (i have witnessed this with other people with a lot more serious illnesses)

So the only option is self help. Has anyone successfully managed any self help for BPD?

lottielou7 Tue 29-Mar-16 00:22:18

Is this bipolar disorder? Usually if you have this you will struggle to cope long term, without meds. Although certainly finding a good psychotherapist can work wonders if you use a two- pronged approach. Is there any reason you are off meds? Do you feel better when on them?

Please get help and don't let things deteriorate to the point that you end up having to go into hospital - your work will have to find out then. I really hope you feel better soon.

lottielou7 Tue 29-Mar-16 00:23:02

If I'm feeling unwell I go straight to the GP.

CrazyandIknowit Tue 29-Mar-16 19:49:47

Hi lottie, it's borderline personality disorder.
You are right, I have to try and find a way of managing this long term.
I came off my meds as everything was going so well. I was feeling good and I didn't have any episodes for over 2 years. Anyone looking in would say I am normal. I even felt normal.

Recently I have felt isolated and depressed.
Some friends have been struggling with issues and it's been hard to see them like that. It's triggered a lot for me.

I also changed jobs and I'm in a smaller team so I feel quite alone sometimes.

I need to see my GP and see what they suggest.

peachypips Tue 29-Mar-16 19:55:59

I don't have BPD but I do have bipolar and generalised anxiety disorder. I have had it it for nearly ten years.
This is what I have learnt:
1. Take meds and stay on them even when you feel better. This stops the constant relapse cycle.
2. Have a steady routine of sleep, eating and exercise. Never let yourself get overtired, too hungry or sedentary.
3. Avoid alcohol.
4. Access psychological therapy (get yourself on the waiting list).
These things all together keep me well enough to be a good wife and mother, enjoy work and be happy. Anxiety doesn't rule my life.
Xx

AliceScarlett Wed 30-Mar-16 13:39:35

Bpd isn't going to shift with just self help I'm afraid. Well, that's just my opinion.

If you can't attend therapy would it increase the chances of you not being able to work? I'm just wondering if it is better to go part time or something and get the help rather than crash and not be able to work any way.

CrazyandIknowit Wed 30-Mar-16 17:59:51

Alice you're right. I still live in hope though grin

I don't want to speak too soon but I don't think I'm at the start of an episode. When that has happened something has usually gone wrong that I can't cope with. Last time my contract at work ended and I couldn't find another job. The stress led to an episode.

I just struggle with regulating my emotions and my anxiety. It's stuff I can hopefully tackle at the same time as working.
It helps actually to think back to that time as I'm not anywhere near that point.
I'm not self harming or having suicidal thoughts.

I struggle to know what is my BPD and what is normal stress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now