Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

5 weeks in on sertraline. Normal?

(15 Posts)
mrswhiskers Sat 19-Mar-16 08:28:32

I was started on 50mg sertraline 5 weeks ago for anxiet/ mild depression and OCD symptoms.
The first 2 weeks I felt OK, quite tired so my symptoms subsided as I couldn't be bothered doing much. Apart from that I didn't have any side effects.
Week 3 and into 4 I felt great. I started to look forward to things again and life felt good.
Now in week 5 it seems overnight the pills have stopped working. My anxiety is back and with it, the OCD
I know sertraline can increase anxiety when you start taking it but would this be normal after the first few weeks? I have the GP this week, will he maybe put the dose up as I did have a while feeling good?

IAmAPaleontologist Sat 19-Mar-16 08:40:28

When I started and with every dose increase I get a high and the a crash before it stabilises, takes me around a month ish to stabilise. everyone is different though.Your gp may well increase the dose as 50mg is very low but you need to start low and increase gradually.

mrswhiskers Sat 19-Mar-16 18:44:50

Thanks for your reply. I just didn't expect to feel like this after the tablets seemed to begin working after the first few weeks. I feel worse than before I started. I wish I could feel like I did on my good week all the time, I used to be so laid back, I'm scared nothing is going to work and this is just the way I am now. Sorry for the ramble.

Jenda Sat 19-Mar-16 18:47:21

Hello. I felt good about 4 weeks in, but I was on holiday in the sun which I'm sure helped! About 7 or 8 in I felt very low almost suddenly and went back to the Dr's who upped my dose. It does take a while to settle but don't be afraid to go back and ask. For what it's worth, six months in and I am a different person. Hope you feel better soon flowers

IAmAPaleontologist Sat 19-Mar-16 20:39:22

It takes a long time to get that low, it takes time to get back up too. Sometimes you need a higher dose, sometimes a different tablet. You will hit setbacks too, that's normal. Peaks and troughs. Keep talking, keep seeing your gp every couple of weeks until you feel as though you are stabilising. You'll get there x

ScarlettDarling Sat 19-Mar-16 20:43:09

Yes, this is normal, or at least it was for me. I felt good for a week, then I'd have a wobbly week. It takes a while but the good spells will get longer and the old you will come back again. You will get there.

EllaHen Sat 19-Mar-16 20:45:02

I felt better on the 50 mg dose but still woke up in the middle of the night with my heart racing.

When I told my GP, it was as if he was anticipating it and put me up to the 100mg dose.

Sorted me out and within a year I was off Sertraline and feeling better.

Unfortunately, my work situation is ramping up my anxiety again. Modern life, eh?

AppleJuiceFlood Sat 19-Mar-16 20:48:55

We are at exactly the same stage mrswhiskers and I could have written your post word for word!

I also feel like I've gone backwards a bit and my anxiety has increased again. I'm seeing the doctor again in 10 days and hope they increase my dose to 100mg also.

Hope you feel well soon, anxiety and depression sucks balls. flowers

Pantone363 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:31:18

5 weeks here too and crashed after a goodish week last week. I asked the GP to increase the dose but she said no.

mrswhiskers Mon 21-Mar-16 11:05:29

Thanks for the responses.
I'm sorry that others are feeling the same with sertraline but at the same time it's reassuring I'm not the only one.
I had a really bad weekend but feel a bit better today so perhaps I'm on the up again, I am still going to ask if I can increase the dose when I see the GP on Wednesday as looking back at my diary I have had 12 'bad' days in a row.

mrswhiskers Mon 21-Mar-16 11:06:22

pantone did the GP say why they wouldn't increase your dose?

Pantone363 Mon 21-Mar-16 11:47:22

She wanted me to go through another prescription first as she felt it was still early days and the side effects could put me off continuing.

mrswhiskers Wed 23-Mar-16 09:44:56

Just an update on this thread. The GP said it would be a good idea to try increasing to the 100mg tablet as I had felt some benefit from the sertraline if there is no change with the increase after a few weeks he suggested trying another drug. Hoping I don't have to go down that route.

Grumpyoldmomma Wed 23-Mar-16 10:11:14

Thank you for posting this OP. I am in exactly the same boat and was worrying as I'm not due back to my doctor for another couple of weeks. I was starting to feel good last week but this week I'm tearful, anxious, and feel so low, like I'm back to square one.

I hope you are feeling better soon. thanks

Katyf43 Fri 16-Sep-16 10:45:12

I feel exactly the same started on 50mg felt great one week later increase to 100mg still felt good then 2 days ago bad anxiety intrusive thoughts I feel awful don't understand how I was doing ok now I'm not !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now