Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is this normal care or should I expect more?

(5 Posts)
elliejjtiny Tue 15-Mar-16 23:02:57

I've had PND with all 5 of my dc, worst with dc's 1 and 5. I was on meds for a year with dc's 2 and 3, 10 months with dc4 and nearly 3 years with dc1. I'm taking 150mg sertraline at the moment and dc5 is 21 months old.

I was just wondering if I should be pushing for more/better treatment. I see the GP every 3 months. She asks how I am, I say "up and down but mostly down". She makes sympathetic noises, asks a few questions from a checklist about if I'm eating (yes), sleeping (not much) and going out (not much). She then tells me I should stay on the same dose of meds and she'll see me again in 3 months.

Every 6 months or so I see the hv about one of the dc and she tells me the GP is really worried about me (but the GP never says this to me). She's nice but her only suggestion is that I go to a support group which clashes with dc5's SN baby group.

The sertraline helps but I'm still feeling awful. I know that without the sertraline I'd be back to the crying mess I was when dc5 was first born with no progress made at all. With the sertraline I can just about function.

My life revolves around the dc and their numerous appointments/activities. I worry that if I pushed for more help then I wouldn't have time to fit in any extra appointments for me and I would end up more stressed. I've talked to the GP about counselling and she says I should wait until dc5 is at school, which is 2.5 years away. The idea of feeling like this for another 2.5 years is scary.

RockUnit Tue 15-Mar-16 23:41:25

Would you be able to see a different GP for another opinion? I would have thought increasing your ADs or trying a different one might be helpful, and have no idea why you should wait 2.5 years for counselling confused Can you self-refer to your local mental health trust?

elliejjtiny Wed 16-Mar-16 12:05:55

Thankyou. I asked about increasing/changing meds last time but she said only a consultant psychiatrist can prescribe 200mg sertraline and I can't take different meds because I'm breastfeeding. I'm not sure why she hasn't referred me to a psychiatrist. I don't know about self referral, I'll see if I can find out.

dangermouseisace Wed 16-Mar-16 12:53:45

I was on 200mg sertraline prescribed by GP. However, if you're not getting any better despite anti depressants and the support GP can offer then I thought it was standard practice to refer to MH team? Can you ask if you could be referred?

EverySecondCounts Wed 16-Mar-16 13:09:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now