Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How can I help sil please

(3 Posts)
CheeseToasty Tue 15-Mar-16 17:40:25

I really don't know what to do. My sil is suffering from depression and has been taking anti depressants for a while but its not getting better. She told that she is cutting herself recently and I advised her to go back to the doctor which she did. The doctor gave her another anti depressant but she has told me that she isn't going to take them. Since then she keep texting about cutting herself but I don't know what to do please help!

HPFA Wed 16-Mar-16 08:28:16

I don't have personal experience to offer but did find an organisation that gives help and advice to people in your position
www.harmless.org.uk/whoWeSupport/familyAndFriends.

It's lovely that you care about your SIL - just you being there for her will be helpful.

Fivegomad Wed 16-Mar-16 08:34:21

Hi. She needs to ask her doctor to refer to the local community mental health team for assessment. Is this something you are able to help with, maybe go along with her?
The mind website is full of clear, easily understandable advice, for you and for her. I have found it really good for helping me understand why someone would do something so seemingly harmful.

www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/self-harm/about-self-harm/#.VukZ4fDfWrU

It also has lots of links and advice on where to go for help.
I hope this helps you, looking after someone who is suffering is very hard, take care of yourself too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now