Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Postnatal insomnia

(6 Posts)
tennisnut123 Tue 15-Mar-16 06:48:23

I was wondering if anyone has any similar experiences or can help. i have an 8 week old baby who is starting to sleep better at night. We usually get a 5/6 hour stretch though that can be from 9pm or 1am! However I am now waking in the early hours and can't get back to sleep. This makes me increasingly stressed and so I am even less likely to drop off. Last night she slept from around 12.30 to 6.30 (a good night for her!) but I have been awake since 3 am. I have seen my GP but there is not much she can really do. Has anyone else had this? Did it improve and any tips? I am feeling increasingly desperate as I want to be a good Mum in the day time but am exhausted. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

HPFA Tue 15-Mar-16 09:07:20

Had a very bad insomnia spell about a year ago which (fingers crossed) is OK at the moment. I used Dr Guy Meadows - The sleep Book (£4.99 on Kindle) and found it incredibly helpful although not an instant cure. Paul McKenna's - I can make you sleep has an excellent hypnotic audio download - I found the effects wore off after a while but if all you need is to get back on track then I think it would be very useful. Magnesium oil is also good but quite expensive- I find I don't necessarily get more sleep with it but it seems to improve the quality of sleep I do have. www.amazon.co.uk/Better-You-Magnesium-Goodnight-Spray/dp/B002VPDX56/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1458032747&sr=8-4&keywords=magnesium+oil.

Best wishes to you - insomnia is the pits!!

tennisnut123 Tue 15-Mar-16 15:28:33

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Have had a look at the sleep book today, looks quite helpful and hopeful too!

tennisnut123 Sun 17-Apr-16 16:49:19

Just wanted to say thank you for recommending that book HPFA. Things have really improved and I'm very grateful!

HPFA Tue 19-Apr-16 15:03:51

That's great news and really kind of you to post. I don't think its the quickest solution but I've found it really effective long term.

Nuttypops Tue 19-Apr-16 15:17:07

Glad to see things have started to improve for you, that's good news.
Just to say, yes, I found the same after DD was born. For me, it eventually took sleeping in a different room to her and ear plugs to start sleeping properly again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now