Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Do you talk to yourself in your head ALL THE TIME?!

(26 Posts)
Gymboree567 Mon 14-Mar-16 16:19:37

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but here goes
I talk to myself in my own head constantly, some days I drive myself crazy, today has been particularly bad, I make up stories and scenarios, I imagine what I would write on here, or what I would write if I had a diary, what I would do if I won the lottery, go over past events etc
Am I crazy or does everyone do this?
I think today was bad because I had no one to talk to, up at 7.45 dh already left for work, kids left for school without saying a word
Went to the gym, instructor said hi, left the gym receptionist said bye
Dropped off some nappies at friends house, she wasn't in so left them in her porch
Got home, kids in their rooms,
Let the rabbits out in the garden told them how cute and fuzzy they are (dont know if that counts as conversation!!)
It's nearly 4.30 and I've only really spoken to myself!
Am I mad or do you do this??

Marchate Mon 14-Mar-16 16:21:59

You sound lonely x

Gymboree567 Mon 14-Mar-16 16:23:07

I am but I'm used to it, is it just a lonely person thing?

ItsTimeForDuggee Mon 14-Mar-16 16:26:20

Your not alone I do this aswell blush

Gymboree567 Mon 14-Mar-16 16:28:28

Phew it's not just me! I've actually given myself a headache today I wish I would shut up

Pedestriana Mon 14-Mar-16 16:31:46

I do this.
Often my brain will get a kind of 'earworm', usually just before I want to settle down to sleep. A few nights ago I had "marmoset" and "synthesizer" on repeat. Last night it was the phrase "He would have had to have had."
I am able to distract myself with reading or MN-ing in between times.
I don't know that it's necessarily lonely, sometimes it's just over-analyzing stuff, or just being too aware of everything, albeit subconsciously.

My friend with ASD talks to herself all the time. I talk to myself about 70% of the time.

GeorgeTheThird Mon 14-Mar-16 16:33:33

I don't do what you describe, but I almost always have words in my head - that's what thoughts are?

ouryve Mon 14-Mar-16 16:35:17

I do it. I talk myself through situations and, if I need to make plans, tell myself - so not even in my head, there!

I think it's perfectly normal, though it just seems odd when your thoughts are so loud and everything else so quiet.

Gymboree567 Mon 14-Mar-16 16:38:29

Yeah it's not just background thoughts of important things like whats for tea or jobs to be done, it's loud intrusive useless stories!

Scarydinosaurs Mon 14-Mar-16 16:41:15

When I had PND I very much experienced this. I was unable to turn it off or control the thoughts I had.

As I got better it went.

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 14-Mar-16 16:41:54

I do this aaaaaall the time too, I often tweet/Instagram/make MN threads in my head, and write texts in my mind too. I haven't spoken to anyone in person today either, except the baby:

DH leaves house 6:30
Up at 8
Errands in town - PO lady, no small talk which is fine, Bank used the automated machine thing.
That's it really! DH will get home at 9.

IggertyZiggertyZoom Mon 14-Mar-16 16:42:55

I do this too. Perfectly normal IMO grin

girlwithagruffalotattoo Mon 14-Mar-16 16:44:55

Yes I do. I talk out loud if there's no one around or in my head if there is. I had a period (lasting years) as a kid where I would "narrate" my life. Literally "I walked down the street, watching the birds fly overhead" as I was walking down the street watching the birds fly overhead! It was boring and distressing as I didn't know if I was weird. Tried to explain to my parents but they didn't understand. Eventually it passed.

I am constantly having discussions with myself

coffeetasteslikeshit Mon 14-Mar-16 16:46:22

I do this all the time... i thought everyone did. I like to give myself a stern talking to about things.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Mon 14-Mar-16 16:47:23

yes I do it all the time too. I think I just have quite verbal thoughts, whereas some people think in pictures etc. but I do get the feeling of not quite living in the moment, but sort of rehearsing every single thing before it actually happens/comes out of my mouth/just in case.

juniperdingleberries Mon 14-Mar-16 16:47:48

I say phrases in my head that I want to say out loud, but in my head I have an Irish accent! I have to fight the urge to repeat the phrases with the accent out loud.
I also sometimes get sentences stuck in my head but I think up another sentence to counter it, and that usually stops it sticking.
Bedtime is terrible, I worry and fret and go over scenarios in my head until I feel like I'm going mad. Have you tried a relaxation/meditation CD? Might help you "switch off" a bit more.

weegiemum Mon 14-Mar-16 16:55:26

I do this, most off the time mildly, but I have recurrent psychotic depression and when it gets bad, the thoughts become constant, intrusive and stop me thinking about anything else.
If its as bad as that I'd go and talk to someone.

JenEric Mon 14-Mar-16 17:05:10

Yes. It gets worse, more random and louder if my depression and anxiety is flaring up.

lookingforafriend Mon 14-Mar-16 17:14:33

I have been alone since just after 7 am....husband will be home late this evening, possibly 8-9pm...I actually talk to myself all of the time and also my two dogs who are my only company as I only go out of the house for doctor or hospital appointments, other than that I am inside my house...only feel safe here....

Try to relax and look on google for mindfulness instructions and advice...I feel it helps me when I am extremely stressed..I also have diagnosed OCD which at the moment is out of control...

Take care. You are not alone...we are here for you to talk X

coffeeinaredmug Mon 14-Mar-16 17:38:29

I narrate stuff in my head all the time. I make up stories and have made up conversations with loads of people and make up what the dog is thinking and speak to any birds/rabbits etc i pass.

I have no mental health issues at all. grin

Chocolatteaddict1 Mon 14-Mar-16 17:41:30

Yes me if my anxiety is bad.

Gymboree567 Mon 14-Mar-16 17:42:26

Thanks for all the replies, yes I agree it is worse when I'm feeling down, and the story of my life is very irritating as I go over it again and again when I'm depressed, maybe writing it down would help me get over it?
The Irish accent made me laugh!! @juniperdingleberries

juniperdingleberries Mon 14-Mar-16 18:09:10

It was Geordie for a while, while I was working my way through Geordie shore blush

Twitterqueen Mon 14-Mar-16 18:13:45

yes, all the time. I thought everyone did it? I work from home so don't meet or talk to many people on a day-to-day basis - apart from the dog of course, who I talk to all the time.

If I knew more people or got out more or had more hobbies I wouldn't do it as much because I would be talking to them instead of me - and it would be much more rewarding....

I would recommend distraction. Hobbies, a book, film, night classes, a pet - even a fish. You need something to focus on outside of yourself.

GeorgeTheThird Mon 14-Mar-16 18:34:56

Ah ok, I have thoughts rather than stories. Mine take on the structure/style of the writer of the book I'm currently reading. Never been sure whether that's normal or not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now