Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Taking sertraline made me very very happy, what does this mean?

(6 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Thu 10-Mar-16 21:08:29

This was about a year ago and I only took 1 or 2 doses and it completely freaked me out. I hate taking drugs and so I was hesitant about taking it anyway. While it felt great, it completely scared me as I felt I had no control at all over my ecstatic mood, i would have done anything, My muscles in my face were hurting because I couldn't move them out of a smile?!

Anyway, I just stopped taking it and went back to feeling shit and never did anything about it. Now I can't take feeling like this anymore. I've read that if sertraline makes you feel excited then you shouldn't take it. But I don't know why. Maybe I just need to get used to feeling that happy again as it's been a long time?? I'm trying to build up the courage to go to there doctors and ask for something to help, but I don't know what, and I kind of want the sertraline again because it was a bloody great feeling (apart from being scared/freaked out)

Bringiton2016 Thu 10-Mar-16 21:12:17

I had that on citalopram. Alas it was just a side effect and soon wore off and everything levelled out.

ScarlettDarling Thu 10-Mar-16 21:15:55

I take sertraline and one of the side effects listed in the pack is euphoric mood. These side effects generally wear off within a week or two, don't imagine you'd be euphoric forever....unfortunately!!

Go back to the gp and check that its ok to take them but I can't see why it wouldn't be. And it's got to beat the nausea and runs which I had for the first week of taking it!

tigerdriverII Thu 10-Mar-16 21:22:23

I've been taking quite a high dose for some time. It took a while to get the right AD for me, they are very variable in the effects and efficacy. What I get with Sertraline is really weird vivid dreams. They're usually quite pleasant but very very weird. It's like going to see a new film every night. This hasn't worn off, but it doesn't bother me, in fact it's a bit of a bonus

ScarlettDarling Thu 10-Mar-16 21:53:13

Yes, I get the dreams too. Really enjoy them actually!

MoreSnowPlease Thu 10-Mar-16 21:59:11

The side effects say it may be a manic episode if you feel like this. So does that mean I could have manic depression?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now