Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Feeling really upset and anxious for hours/days after bad news stories.

(3 Posts)
Bellygirl Thu 10-Mar-16 16:04:35

Hi, I have this issue where if I read, see or hear an upsetting news story (especially anything about kids, vulnerable people or animals) I just feel so so sad, like the kind of sad that makes you feel sick and I know that's a normal response but I then obsess over it for days, it makes me feel really depressed and I get really scared that something bad will happen to someone close to me. I know the obvious answer is to avoid these things but it's really quite hard to avoid everything sad sad I do have OCD and I've now over 10 years or so managed to get all of my compulsions under control apart from the obsessive/intrusive thoughts, does anyone know what I can do?

mugginsalert Thu 10-Mar-16 21:34:38

Hi, sorry I don't have an answer for you but I can sympathise because since I had children I also experience this along with some self generated intrusive thoughts which have the same effect. I hate it, makes me feel I'm not in control of my own thoughts, or else just too fragile too cope when this is not the case.

I can share a few ways that I've approached it:

I kept a log for a few days and found that for me it was linked with being tired, eating too much sugar/caffeine, between 8am-9am or 3pm-6pm (no idea why), and being on the computer too late the night before. So this gives me a chance to control it a little. Have you noticed any patterns about when it gets better/worse for you?

I find mindfulness meditation helpful to see the spaces in between the sad feelings (sorry if that makes no sense).

I remind myself that this is one of those things that probably made evolutionary sense in a wild environment - i.e. being hyper sensitive to threat would make you a great protector of the young in the community. This helps me deal with the fear about things happening to people I know - when I get those thoughts I remind myself that it's just a rather horrible misplaced alarm bell to go check on the kids, for example.

The overwhelming sadness is tough. For me it is linked to feeling helpless about the suffering I see, and it kind of paralyses my mind so I get stuck on that sadness. It helps me to take action in some way: deliberately be kind to someone, say a prayer, donate to charity, help someone at work - it all counts. I try to remember we're all connected - eventually, someone I help could help someone who helps someone who cures cancer, for example. Sorry, that sounds a bit rubbish and trite when I write it, but it works for me.

Hope this helps, sorry for rambling.

Wineandcheases Sat 12-Mar-16 10:46:52

I to find i fixate on things - in councelling I realised I was transferring fears . So they are already there in u but u hide them . Something triggers them you think it's that issue really it's been under the surface and is to do with your feelings your hiding away - Maybe not true for you but worth considering ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now