Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Two counsellors ?

(2 Posts)
vxa2 Mon 07-Mar-16 21:07:19

I have been seeing my CBT therapist on and off over several years. Basically I can usually cope using the strategies I have learned but sometimes I need a bit more support and I will see him again.

I had a bit of a breakdown a year ago and have been seeing him over that time as well as my GP and various psychiatrists.

I have been okish for a while but still having troubling thoughts and am currently trying Sertraline after lots of other drugs combos which haven't really worked.

The thing is that I have had a trauma at work (someone I was investigating for misconduct hanged themselves - not a colleague, investigating an external organisation is my job) and I asked for an Employee Assistance Programme referral. I got a call today and they said that as I am seeing a psychotherapist already they wouldn't advise seeing someone else. I want to keep this current issue separate and to be brutally honest I think my work should pay for some counselling because it is as a direct result of work that I am in need of support - they have been useless. I don't think the fact that I already have a therapist who I pay £75 an hour to see should benefit them.

My current therapist knows the position and has said perhaps to play down the input I have from him. He thinks a good audit trail is important. The possible new therapist is going to talk to me about it - she can only recommend up to 6 sessions anyway. I don't know what to do when I see her for an assessment on Wednesday. I can't see how I can hold back on the truth if I trust her. I have been open and honest about it but I am not getting any real help. I have also been told it is too early for trauma therapy - how long am I supposed to wait to see if I am traumatised ? I don't think it even needs to come to that. I need to talk about how sad and guilty and overwhelmed I feel about what has happened. I just wish I hadn't already had a counsellor. All I am trying to do is get myself well and stay well. Any ideas or words of wisdom please ?

McPheeNicks Mon 07-Mar-16 22:22:24

I think it's pretty common that counsellors/therapists don't want you to see several at the time. It seems to be the rule, really.

I've personally seen two at the same time, but it was a situation where I was seeing one for individual psychotherapy and the other together with my husband. Everyone involved seemed happy enough with that arrangement. And someone I know received EMDR on the NHS while seeing a counsellor separately, so it does happen. I hope one way or another you get the support you need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now